Wednesday, February 25, 2015

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy VI (Super Nintendo, Square, 1994): Issue #049: Long Downward Spyro

You know, I'm just about out of game here...

At least, when it comes to having anything to write about, anyway. I like Final Fantasy 6, as I'm sure I've said a few times over the previous issues, but I gotta say, I'm kinda glad I'm getting near the end of the game, too. About all that's left is DoomGaze and Kefka's Tower. What I get for beating DoomGaze is the Bahamut Esper, and I've certainly beaten the game without that more than once, and it was rather easy, all things considered. So, really, I'm at a point now where unless I run into and happen to beat DoomGaze or something else interesting happens, all I've got left now is getting everybody's spells and levels built up for Kefka's Tower, and something tells me those wouldn't make for very good issues. So, with that in mind, I won't bore you with writing about all the grinding I'm doing and will just say what the average level I've got everybody at when I go for Kefka's Tower.

But anyway, the task at hand is taking out the Blue Dragon. Getting to this guy is something else. First there's the matter of finding the Ancient Castle, and then there's the matter of figuring out how to actually get to the dragon. There's a hidden switch five steps down from the throne on the right in the same room where we got the Odin esper. Hit that and it'll open a staircase in the same room as the queen's diary, at the bottom of which is the Blue Dragon. This one's not so hard, either. He's weak against lightning attacks, but since pretty much everybody's level is in the high 40s to near 50, in this case, it was really just a matter of wailing away on him with physical attacks

One thing to be careful of here is that in this same room, at the far end from the stairs, is the queen, who had also been turned into stone at the same time as Odin. Talking to this statue will cause it to shed a tear, causing the Odin Magicite to turn into Raiden. I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing. It's just that Odin has the Meteor spell, and I'd like to have at least a few characters with that before I turn Odin into Raiden, which has the Quick spell. I'm not sure if there's any advantage to that, since that's one of the few things in this game I'm pretty sure I've never bothered with before. I may not, and probably won't, this time either, because for as much as I enjoy my playthroughs of FF6, it's starting to get to be like Legend of Mana was towards the end of the Jumi arc, in that I can pretty much finish the game any time I like now, and I'm just about ready to be done with it anyway.

With all that in mind, I'll still be playing, getting everybody where they need to be to finish the game, but unless something particularly interesting happens, there likely won't be any new issues of this Text Play until I go for Kefka's Tower, which may be awhile. So, until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment