Tuesday, November 10, 2015

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (Square, SNES, 1992): Issue #015: Painfully Dull

Who'd have thought that climbing a tree with a girl would be this dull?

I mean really. This is so dull it almost kind of hurts. Admittedly, I'm sure my previously stated health issues have something to do with this, as does the fact that I've been through this game almost as many times as I've been through FF4. But at least 4 is still interesting to some extent because the battles are actually random, and they can still drop things.

At least we're running into new enemies this time around. In addition to the mummies and the spectors on the first floor, there are three new enemies, too: the Live Oak, which is another plant monster like from the beginning of the game; the Snipion, a scorpion pallet swap; and the Mad Toad, which is another kind of self-explanatory thing.

Another thing that makes this a little bit interesting is that there's a new kind of puzzle starting here. Like I was saying before, the Dragon Claw is kind of like the Hook Shot in LoZ:LTTP in that you can use it to hook onto posts and pull yourself between ledges as well as climb walls like with the other two claws. Alongside this first Dragon Claw puzzle, there's a few holes with vines that lead to the previous level when there's no post to pull over to. After a couple floors of this, we run into a worm-type monster called the Leech. These are weak against axe attacks and quake spells. These things can even be one-shotted by both characters.

Thing is, though, all of this is actually so simple that it gets tedious after a while, especially if you've done it as many times as I have. I started dozing off about halfway through and had to call it a night so I didn't wind up falling asleep in my chair. The good news is that when I picked up again, there was a new set of monsters in the top half or so of the tree.

The not-so-good news is that one of these monsters, a slime called Ooze, repels magic. I think this is the first monster in the game to do it. The other, the Skulldier, is a yellow skeleton monster weak against wind. The floors are really a maze now.

The top floor really isn't so bad, but it's full of Skulldiers. At least we don't have to fight them all, or even all the monsters in the tree to win. There's a boss monster called Gidrah that takes care of any remaining monsters. And yes, it does take its name from the monster movie of the same name, if not quite the same spelling. This would be the boss that the Chimera we fought for the Areo spell is based on.

With the kaiju taken care of, the big tree takes us forward, past the words “Goon Kid!!!” spelled out in trees, to the Kaidge Temple. The Old Guy's there to remind us that Captain Mac can tell us about the Prophecy. I could swear he told us that before.

I also did the first of two Battlefields between the temple and the city of Windia. It's got Oozes, Skulldiers, and interestingly enougy, Water Hags in it. Hadn't intended to do it just yet because I just knew I was going to konk out at the very end and miss what the reward was, and that's exactly what happened. I was going to look it up on Vgmaps, but when I went to look, it was down for maintenance. I'll look again for next issue.

But that'll be for another time, as I've been up way too late as is, and I've been taking far too long with this one. So, until next time, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment