Sunday, November 1, 2015

My Favorite Halloween

This may have been the last year I went trick-or-treating.

I think I was in seventh grade at the time. It was 1990 or 1991 or thereabouts. It was the year that Mega Man 3 came out. That much I do remember. Since I was a fan of the series, the Nintendo Power article about the game inspired my costume.

If you're only familiar with the modern, post-2006 me, there's a good chance you'd think I was at least trying to go as Doctor Light, the Blue Bomber's creator and mentor. That's understandable, as both Light and I are both sort of hefty fellows, and I've even shared pictures of myself from the late 1990s where I had the hair and beard, at least, to make it work.

In reality, though, I tried to go the Doctor Wily route, because even back then, I was more a villain fan than a hero fan. Plus, I was a skinny little goit, too. I've shared pics of that, too, if you know where to look. But there were several reasons why it didn't quite work out as planned. It was a mostly improvised costume, so that was certainly part of it. I'll have to see if I can find photos someplace to share for next year.

But that was my favorite Halloween, in part because it was likely the last one where I was an active trick-or-treater. I'm sure the six to eight inches of snow we had on the ground that year played a part, too. The cold air made some modifications to everyone's costumes necessary, simply because we couldn't really go out without winter coats on. I think everybody else in the group had a little better luck with their costumes because it was easier to get warm clothes on under the other stuff.

Either way, I know I still had fun trouncing around in the snow, pretending I was dressed up as my favorite mad scientist. I really hope the same can be said of the group of friends I was with at the time, even if it was a bit chilly that night.

I'll see about finding that photo for next year. Until then, I hope you all had a good Halloween this year.

See you soon, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment