Friday, November 27, 2015

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (Square, SNES, 1992): Issue #018: Thunder Road

Sadly, not the Bruce Springsteen song a friend of mine is fond of.

And not the Dire Straits song I'm considering referencing for the last actual playthrough post or the epilogue either, though the titles are kind of similar.

Another sad thing about this post is how short it is, mostly because of how easy the few moments of plot advancement I actually did this time out came. No fighting, no terribly difficult puzzles to solve, something boring even for this game. And the pisser is that if I'd put a little more thought into this, I might have chosen a better place to stop for the night.

As is, though, I'm doing this at the far-too-late hour that's become kind of a bad habit for me. I'm going to have to work on changing that, but it's going to have to be another time now, because, well, it's a little late to be worrying about it this time.

Where we left off last time, we'd beaten Pazuzu and gone back to Windia to check on Norma, who's laid up in bed at Otto's house. She's gonna be OK, I guess, but needs to rest. When we talk to Otto himself, the conversation is about how we need to get to Spencer's Place, the tunnel he was digging until Phoebe blew it up for what turns out to be plot reasons. We need to get there to set off another bomb, in hopes of refilling the main lake and making Captain Mac's boat float again.

Since Phoebe done blowed the place up, as previously mentioned, the only way in is a convenient back entrance that can be accessed by way of Otto's Rainbow Road. All we have to do is get him something called Thunder Rock. Just then, Reuben comes in after having conveniently found a secret entrance into Focus Tower while just as conveniently rescuing himself. He also says that his dad has some Thunder Rock for us back in Fireburg. With that in mind, he'll be taking Kailei's place in the party because why the hell not, I guess.

So the party, now consisting of Ben and Reubin, goes to Fireburg to have a word with Reubin's dad Arion. Turns out, he does know a thing or two about Thunder Rock. Sadly, there's no quest or puzzle or anything to do here. He just has a chunk of the stuff up his ass or something that he gives the party for simple plot advancement.

From there, it's a simple matter of just going back to Windia, where Otto uses the rock to upgrade the power source on his Rainbow Road. And this is where things went a little FUBAR.

See, this brings to mind a conversation I had with my mom a while back about why I don't often try to get clever about things. In this case, it didn't really go badly, per se, but it does make things a little inconvenient. I'd thought I'd get clever and go through Pazuzu's tower again, just to make sure I hadn't missed the Mobius Crest. Partway through, I realized that hey, it's a quarter after twelve in the morning and I've got work tomorrow, so maybe I should at least go see if I'm not wasting my time on this and write an issue about this. Turns out the thing I'm looking for is in the new part of Spencer's Place. Or at least I'm hoping it is, just because I don't want to think I somehow screwed myself on an otherwise easy game. Not that the crest is particularly critical, far as I can tell, but this is one of those cases where there's no good reason to not go for 100% completion, too.

With all that in mind, I'm going to do the lazy thing and use the Exit spell to get out of the tower, since that's where I saved, and move on with the game next time. At least there is one bit of good news here in that in all the time I've been playing Final Fantasy games, I think this is the first time I've had an actual legitimate use for an Exit spell other than just screwing around with it.

But until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment