Saturday, December 10, 2016

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation, 2000, Square-Enix): Issue #013: Gargant And Roo

And Winnie the Pooh too?

Unfortunately, no Hundred-Acre Woods for the time being, but things are heating up again anyway.

But before we get into that, I should point out that there are some details I've forgotten since last time I had a go at this game, as I'm sure I've mentioned a time or two already. In this case, I'd forgotten that there was a save point at the start of the dungeon we're going into here. For the best, though, I suppose. I suspect I'd have had a bit of trouble remembering parts of this had I gone for it.

So anyway, when we get into the tower where Tot lives, the scientist gives the party the item they'd come for, and then Dagger has a moment with her old teacher as they talk about the giant globe he's got as an observation deck in his new lab. They remember the time when Dagger saw her first globe, thinking it was only of Alexandria Castle instead of the entire planet, in this case called Gaia. This will be important later, but for the time being, we've got places to go.

From the observation deck, there's a ladder that goes down into a tunnel system connecting Treno and the castle. This was part of an ancient railway sort of thing powered by giant insects called Gargants. That's part of how the area got it's name.

We've got some setup work to do before we can actually get on our way. We have to open the gate to let the Gargant in and then get the bugaboo to hold still long enough for the party to climb into the basket it's carrying.

Tot is, of course, there to guide the party through the process, but he gets to teleport from place to place as each task is complete while the party has to hike it and fight random battles. This is kind of a good thing, since there's a boss fight between Treno and Alexandria once we get into the tunnel.

I never can remember the boss monster's name, though I do know it has a Bone Wrist and one other item that I got but didn't see the name of somehow. I think this may be a timed event battle, as the monster did run away after awhile. I think it's possible to actually beat the thing, but I seriously don't remember if I ever have managed it.

When our trio gets to Alexandria Castle, they pretty much walk right into a trap that had been built for pretty much this purpose ages ago, though more for defending against invaders than what's actually going on here. Zorn and Thorn show up to brag about having done their jobs right for a change and then tell the party that they're all going to get exactly what Dagger brought them there for regardless of if they want it or not.


Our story then cuts back to Zidane and the others after their battle in Burmecia. They all agree that their best, and only, really, course of action is to go to Cleyra, in hopes of getting something figured out there. I took the party pretty much right to the entrance to Cleyra and saved, so that's where we'll be picking up next time. Until then, stay safe, keep gaming, have fun, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment