Friday, November 29, 2019

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation, 2000, Square-Enix): Issue #049: Touching Base


But only after getting lost on the Lost Continent.

As I hope I've made clear a time or two in recent posts in this series, I've only played this part of the game a time or two, and it's been a long time since then, so I guess it's only natural that I did get lost in the course of this. At least I finally did get where it is I think I'm supposed to be in the end.

Unfortunately, it took me a fair bit of running around to get there, and I think my sense of direction might be a little off in this case, too. That's in part due to the fact that this is coming from a play session at the tail end of a Thanksgiving day when I had a lot of other stuff going on, too. With that in mind, the good news is that I at least had the good sense to only do it for just under an hour, which is probably for the best.

Almost all that time was spent running around trying to find the place while fighting mostly groups of two and three of these green blobby flying monsters called Vepals. Eventually, I got tired of fighting them and made use of Zidane's “flee” ability frequently towards the end. What helped me figure out I might have been going in the right direction was that I started running into these blue ray-like things that I guess were from earlier in the game because they were relatively weak. There was also a friendly one that wanted a moonstone. Since I don't even have one yet, let alone used it, I just ran from it.

Not long after, I found the baselike thing I think we're supposed to be going to. It kinda looks like something out of Star Wars, Hoth, I want to say, since this is essentially an ice area. I don't actually know the name of the place because I didn't go in, but like I said, it's late as I write this and I've got quite a lot going on right now, so I wanted to keep it short and get to bed after posting this.

For as short as all this is, though, I did get my party up a few levels, and most of my characters started on new skills and ablities. Most importantly, I've got Dagger started on Ifrit, which I'm thinking will come in handy here. We'll find out in the next issue of FF9, though. Like I said, I kind of need to get to bed for all the other things I've got going on right now. Hopefully, I'll get to that before too terribly long. Until then, I hope you all had a good turkey day, and until next time, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment