Sunday, November 17, 2019

TEXT PLAY SIDE GAME: Final Fantasy II (Famicom 1988/PS 2003 [Origins]): Issue #010: In Memory Of Apple Gods


Not quite the reference I had hoped to make, but I couldn't find the song I was going to use instead.

Not to say that the channel I watched an LP of this game on years ago is second best, of course. AppleGodZMG's channel is still one I go to regularly if I want to revisit some good old LPs. Worth checking out, if you're into that sort of thing.

One thing I remember from said LP was that Kas'ion was one of the places in the game where the party was meant to get the crap kicked out if it, and that's exactly what happened this time, too. Took me a couple tries to get where I needed to be, but it eventually happened, in spite of things going wrong a few times.

First thing that went wrong is that I somehow got Firion killed almost right off. This meant getting out of the castle and at least trying to take the Chocobo to Bafsk so I could use the Sanctuary to bring him back. It's been so long since I've tried to bring up the map in this game that I'd forgotten how and wound up losing the Chocobo in my fumbling around with it.

Once I got that taken care of, though, I got back into the castle and managed to make it most of the way to the final boss. Took me a bit to remember where it was, and by the time I got there, I was pretty much out of magic and healing items. Fortunately, I did have an ether that I put on Firion so we could use his healing magic in the boss fight. Before I got there, though, I had to let my party get killed off by a Adamatoise so I could get all that set up. The memo file function really came in handy this time.

The boss here is called the Screamer, I believe. Once again, I'm working on all this later than I probably should be, so my memory is a bit off there. At any rate, it's got high physical defence, and since Maria was essentially out of magic, I was left trying to beat the thing to death with regular weapons, which took awhile. The good news is that everybody got some good stat boosts out of it. Once I got past the boss and took the Egil's Torch, I used Firion's Warp spell to get back out of the castle, which made it easier to get back into the ground level and put the Sunfire on the torch. From there, I used the Cottage to heal everybody up before moving on. I'd forgotten that there was a big, fancy cutscene that happens, but like I said, since it's a little late, I'm a little too tired to try describing it here. I'll get to that next time.

Something worth commenting on before I wrap up here is that when I went to get Firion revived right near the start of this, I figured I'd pick up some Phoenix Downs while I was in town. Things like this aren't exactly cheap in any of these games, but they're 5000 gold each in this game. Quite a lot of the items in this game are a good deal more expensive than they are in other games in the series. It would be nice if we could find these things somehow at a bette rate than we do right now. We will eventually, of course, as I've learned in previous playthroughs. About the only thing of much value, aside from the Egil's Torch, that we find here is the Gold Armor, which is guarded by some monsters called Mines. Really lucky they didn't kill me off there, too.

As far as luck goes, I guess I was lucky there was only one Screamer in the boss fight, too, otherwise I'm not sure I'd have made it through the fight otherwise.

At any rate, I'd better wrap this up and set up the autopost. It's late, I'm forgetting things, and I'm starting to seriously misspell my ramblings.  Until next time, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment