Saturday, November 30, 2019

Late Night Musings: YouTube Stuff


I'm probably going to have to come back to this at least once, and probably more often, if only because I need to inform myself a little better than I am right now.

Plus, this is being written at 1:30 AM, which is really not the best time ever to be trying to write about something like this.

By “this”, I mean the whole COPPA thing that's going on with YouTube right now. My very basic understanding of this, in a nutshell, is that COPPA is this law or set of laws regarding how user information, and especially personal user information, is collected, especially regarding children aged 13 and younger. It's a big no-no to collect that sort of stuff, and Google, YouTube's parent company, got caught doing so in the worst way they could have, to a scope I don't think I really understand. As a result, they had to pay huge fines and change the way they run their info gathering.

As I understand it, and I will admit, my understading is quite limited, especially right now, instead of going with a “man in the mirror” approach to it and changing their own way of doing things regarding the way they gather data, it's now up to each individual person who makes videos to put on YouTube to decide if their videos and/or channels are “kid/family friendly” or not. This would be a tough enough task if it didn't come with the risk of a $42,000 fine for each video that isn't correctly categorized and demonitization of any offending channels that might be monetized.

I'm writing about all this while it's on my mind right now because I've had a YouTube channel of my own that I've been posting videos to on a somewhat sporadic schedule for the last dozen years or so. Granted, these aren't exactly the greatest videos ever, and there are quite a few videos there that I probably should have taken down years ago for other reasons.

From the looks of things, and as I understand things right now, I'm going to have to take them all down now, just to err on the side of caution here. Mind you, it's not that I particularly want to. After all, this is all coming at a time when it seems like I'm finally starting to get the hang of the whole video thing and may have been coming up on a point where I might have even done well to learn how to edit video again.

Unfortunately, that's not likely to happen now, simply because getting fined for screwing up on even one video will pretty much ruin me. Like I ways saying above, the fine is a little more than $42,000 per video, which is like two and a half years' worth of income for me, and that's on a per video basis. I've got just shy of 130 videos on my channel, which is 130 chances for me to mess up somehow, and I just can't afford to take the risk. Even one mistake could potentially cost me everything I've got, and I'm not willing to risk it all and lose it just because I absent-mindedly dropped an F-bomb in a JM Tries video, which is something that could very easily appeal to kids, and likely does.

So, what does this mean for the future of my Internet media career? Well, before long, I'll probably be making one last video to this effect and then start taking everything down, simply because I don't have the time or knowledge to go through all my videos and make sure they're all in the right category. It's not that I particularly want to, mind you. I really enjoy making videos. Have for pretty much the whole time I've been doing them. In terms of being a producer, the only thing I enjoy doing more than the videos is writing things like this, or the Text Play series, and the occasional fan fiction.

But I'm going to have to take down all my YouTube videos now simply because I can't afford the risk of continuing on that path. I hate that I have to quit that because I was finally starting to get somewhere with it. Sadly, it's either quit or risk complete and utter ruin, and I'm not up to the risk.

Now, this is hardly a “goodbye forever” thing when it comes to video. I might find another option that will let me continue doing something I enjoy doing, and there might even be a slim chance I'll be able to save at least some of the videos I've got out now. I'm not holding out much hope, though, because the only options I know of right now that might work for hosting platforms either want me to pay for the service, which I can't really afford, or are not really the sort of place I'm comfortable posting to.

There's also at least one option I can think of where I could do at least some of what I do on YouTube in a live format, but I've learned from experience that I'm probably worse off trying to do live video work than I am at doing pre-recorded stuff where I can get multiple takes.

I'm still considering my options, of course, and haven't made any final decisions just yet. Like I said at the top of the post, I need to learn a little more about this before I committ to anything in this regard.

There is a bright spot in this, of course. Giving up on video work will give me more time to focus on my writing again, which is something I'm usually a lot more confident about anyway. People have been telling me I'm good at this sort of thing since grade school, and I even went to college in hopes of getting an actual, paying job doing this. Maybe if I put a little more time and effort into it again, I might get somewhere with it again.

Either way, I've got decisions to make and things to get on with. With any luck, we'll have good results soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment