Wednesday, June 4, 2014

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy 6 (SNES; Square 1994): Issue #027: Doubling The Party

This is where things start to get interesting.

When I left off, I had to redo the cave into the submerged Castle Figaro and the boss fight with the tentacles that were jamming up the engines. This time, it went much better. I'm not entirely sure what I did differently this time than I did last time. I think part of it was that I just focused on taking out each of the four tentacles individually, one at a time. They all have different elemental weaknesses, but fortunately, Edgar's drill works equally well on all of them, which is a big help. And when the fight's over, he's back in the party, which is a good thing. The castle's pilot will push his big button and make the castle resurface, giving us a chance to stock up on supplies, if needed, and talk to people.

From here, we're supposed to go on to Kohlingen again. How, exactly, I figured that out my first time through the game, I'm not entirely sure. I think I may have just stumbled into it, but that may not be the case, as my kid brother had finished the game before me, and I may have asked him. I can't remember which it was because it's been more than fifteen years, and it's one of those things I never bothered to remember. At any rate, the only clue in the game, that I remember, anyway, is the castle's engine operator, who asks if we want to go to Kohlingen.

Anyway, in Kohlingen, we meet up with Setzer, who's been moping about in the area ever since the world blew up and took his airship with it. He says he's lost his will to fight, but comes around again after a couple minutes of talking to Celes. He's all in after she tells him that if he doesn't like the way the world is, he needs to step up and do something about it. With that, he tells us that we're going to go get ourselves another airship, which is stored in a place called Daryl's Tomb, to the southwest of town. I'm going to cut this short here and just pick back up going into Daryl's Tomb, because it's a long dungeon, and I need to get back on a better sleep cycle than I've been on lately.

But before I end this issue, I need to mention one of the “challenge run” items I've heard about since discovering Let's Plays. I've heard it said that it's possible to beat this game with only three characters, with those characters being Celes, Sabin, and Setzer. I recall having seen part of an LP that was supposed to prove it, too. I think it was somebody from County Line Gaming, but it was years ago, so I don't remember who it was, and there have been a few changes of membership since then.

I bring it up because I get a feeling that someone will if I don't, and I need to explain why I've never bothered with trying it myself. It's because of this specific part of the game. The idea of only having three characters is one that hadn't really occurred to me simply because the only way to get to Kohlingen, far as I know, is by way of Figaro Castle, where Edgar joins the party, and the only way to get the airship is with Setzer in the party again. Plus, I'm just not comfortable with trying to beat the game with so few characters. I'm going to try picking as many of the other party members as I can again, though it may take awhile. On my last playthrough, I got hung up on trying to get through Zozo in this part of the game. But that's still a ways out yet. Gotta get the airship first.

See you then, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment