Monday, May 18, 2015

Two Reasons Why: My Gaming Break

There's more than two, but these are two of the bigger ones.

The first is that when I started this blog back in 2010, I'd intended for it to be about more than just video games. I came into this knowing that they'd certainly be a part of what would show up here, sure, but there's more to even my boring, pathetic little life than just video games. So, it's time to put the controllers down for a while and go do some of those other things instead. To some extent, anyway, considering that I'm really not in the best position ever to be going around having grand adventures and such.

I'd also like to get back to just writing about any old thing that comes to mind. It's kind of how I came up with the title for this thing, after all. I just wanted a place to write about all the funny and odd and weird little things that I thought about during the day and sometimes thought were worth sharing. Really haven't been doing much of that lately for all the games I've been playing lately. That's not to say they aren't still fun. I just need to do something else for awhile.

Another reason is that for a while now, I've been getting too many video game songs as earwig music. The best, and really worst, ones this weekend were from the Mana series. They're good games, what I've played of them, and the music is exactly what long-time fans of Square games like myself have come to expect over the last twenty-some years, be it composed by Uematsu or not.

One is the opening theme to Legend of Mana:


For as much fun as I've had, and am having, with all the Final Fantasy Text Plays I've done thus far, the one I did of Legend of Mana is probably my favorite thus far. It's a really good game, one I'd probably never have finished in any sense had I not done the blog about it. It was actually pretty cool that I actually got through two of the three story arcs in the game. It's one I'd highly recommend to others out there.

The other biggie is kind of an odd one:


The final boss theme from Secret of Mana. It's an odd one, because even though I've been at least a partial owner of a copy of this one almost since it first came out, I don't think I've made it more than maybe a third of the way through. It's a lot like the Legend sequel in that I'm very familiar with the first part of the game, but know little to nothing about what comes after what I remember being called the Forest of Four Seasons. I could be wrong about that, of course, as I've only made it that far a time or two over the years. I might do a Text Play of it eventually, just so I can say I've finished it the same way I did the original Final Fantasy game. Only on the original system with the original cart.

But that's going to have to wait awhile, as I still have two weeks on my break, and I'm going to do my best to enjoy it. When it's up, I'll be finishing at least one of the two Final Fantasy games I'm doing right now before I start something new.

As is, I've already got too much going on, at least in this sense, and part of the point of this break is to get some of it taken care of. Hopefully, that'll be at least a little bit of fun. See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment