Wednesday, May 18, 2016

TEXT PLAY Second Run: Final Fantasy 4 (SNES, 1991): Issue #007: Jumping Ahead Again

Much as I would have liked to make a better James Bond reference here, it seems like that wasn't meant to be.

At least not this go-round, anyway.

I guess I can say the same thing about getting any of the cool stuff I'm after this early in the game. It's not been for lack of effort. At least it's not been as much for lack of effort as it might seem, anyway. I think part of the reason for this is my levels are still a little low at this point in the game, even though they are higher than I usually have them by now. The only items I got for my efforts were a Cure1 potion and a Rod.

So after getting Cecil up to level 20 as a Paladin and only finding the sort of enemy party I got the Zeus Gauntlet from twice, I just decided to move on with the main story and see if anything would go differently because of where my levels were and where I had my health at the time. It's no real surprise that the cutscene in Mysidia went the same as always, as did the whole business with Yang. I was wondering if taking the Serpent Road with less than full health in this case would change something, but no luck. I guess that's a good thing, but kind of disappointing at the same time.

Once I got Yang to remember us again, I decided to save and take a break for awhile. From here, it's going to be a matter of steamrolling the next several bosses worse than I usually do because of where my levels are.

Pushing through the Old Waterway was way easier than it usually is this time because my levels are so high relative to what they are for my normal playthrough at this point. When I did the fight with Baigan, I blew his arms off a couple times using the Twin ability of Palom and Porom. It usually seems like that's enough to get Baigan to put Wall on himself, but not so this time around. Kainazzio was easier this time, too. The downside is that I was half asleep when I did the fight, so I'm not sure if it was one or two rounds long, but it was still less trouble than normal to beat him.

And of course the twins would just have to gain a level off that fight, too. Just before they turn themselves to stone to save the rest of the party from getting crushed. That would happen.

But next time, I'm going to run around in the Damcyan area for a bit and then at least get started on the Earth Crystal part of this. For a change, I've even got a clever title picked out based on something I'll explain better then: Troia or Toroia?


See you then, folks, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment