Saturday, September 29, 2012

The 2012 Duck Opener Report

Quack quack!

It was a nice morning to be out this morning.  It's been a dry year this year, which one might think would have reduced the number of ducks to be had, but it really didn't.

There were four of us out this morning: my dad, my brother and myself and one of my dad's neighbors.  We went to a place near Flandreau that we'd been looking at.  There were plenty of ducks for everyone.  In the end, we came away with 21 of the combined 24 we could have had as a group, just shy of four full limits.

It was a good mix of large and small ducks, with the bigger ones being mostly mallards, with a good scattering of teal and wood ducks in the mix as well.  We did get some pictures before we started cleaning.  I'll see about getting those to share and post them when I can.

Of the ones my dad, my brother and I kept, we wound up with eleven that we picked so we could roast them later.  The rest we just cut the big pieces out of and will do something with them soon, I think.  All in all, a good day.

So far, we've got eleven ducks and two doves for my family's traditional wild game feed for Thanksgiving.  I really look forward to that, because I really like duck.  Plus, it's about the only time I get to see some relatives, too.

If I get to have some of the duck before the holiday, I'll be sharing it in spirit with two new little kitties at the FFRC named Nance and Pants.  From the sounds of this post on the shelter's blog, these two relative newbies could really use a little bolsering, and some good noms for the spirit certainly couldn't hurt.  Also deserving of a little duckie for the soul is the FFRC resident Tenzin, who recently had a leg surgically taken.  Glad to hear he's doing well so far.

All in all, I had a good day.  And now that everything's pretty much cleaned up and written about, it's time for me to go have a nap.  It's been a busy day so far.  I'll get the pictures out as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment