Monday, October 1, 2012

TEXT PLAY: Legend of Mana (PlayStation; 2000): Issue #34: Junkyard Adventure, Part Two

When I think it's going to be hard, it's easy. When I think it'll be easy, it's hard...

Funny how it works like that, really. I honestly thought finishing this would be a lot harder than it was. Getting on the right path to the end wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I guess I wound up following the directions from issue 33 easily enough after all. The bigger disappointment was the final fight of this quest.

See, from what I'd read, I was expecting a good, proper boss fight against Magnolia, the magical entity Louie had told us about last time, complete with some hoity-toity speech about how it's all hopeless and the world deserves to die because Magnolia and her minions are suffering. Instead, all we get is Magnolia shouting “Now fight!” before she brings four little Jack-In-The-Boxes to life for us to break. At least I get to reference this Mortal Kombat music. It's just that it was a disappointing end to a mission that turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Once Magnolia's toys are all busted up we get an artifact called the Tome of Magic, and Sierra and I find ourselves back in Louie's room, where he tells us that for the magic toys, getting killed for good is a relief, and it's for the best. So, I guess it's back to my place, with a stop at the auxiliary orchard to pick some produce along the way. Seems like Sierra's not interested in all the Spiny Carrots I got this time around. Or it's just that the game's programmed for the NPCs to leave the party when the player actually goes into the house. Either way, I guess a little visit wouldn't be much fun with the rugrats around anyway.

Since I didn't want to start a new quest just now, I thought I'd mess around with making an instrument instead, so I went to my lab and did just that. In this case, I used what the game refers to as an aerolite called Jacobini Rock and an Aura Silver coin to make a drum. It's got a spreading forward attack, though I'm not entirely sure what it does. Because I only had the three coins when I started and I used one to make the drum, I went to see if I could find one of the sprites that give the things out.

The first place I looked was Domina's West End. Nothing there, but then again, it seems there never is unless the plot requires it. So I went off to the Loriant Table Lands on the north fork of the Luon Highway, where we fought the Mantis Ant with Niccolo early in the game. It took a couple tries, but I did eventually come across a Jinn that lived there. He was a hard little SOB to appeal to. I had the best luck with a Mysterious tune on the few instruments I had on hand. I guess he liked the Unsolved Mysteries theme as much as I do. But since I tried twice and failed both times, I figured I'd just go home and save the game.

Since I can't really have much worse luck than I did with this quest, I think I'll see if I can start a new one next time. Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment