Wednesday, October 3, 2012

TEXT PLAY SIDE GAME: Final Fantasy (NES 1990/PS 2003 [Origins]): Issue #16: A Few Stops

Before long, we'll be headed off to the Sea Shrine to get the Water Crystal.

But there's a few stops along the way that we need to make first. The first of those places is the town of Onrac, or Onlak, as this version calls it. The entrance to the Sea Shrine is here, but since the temple sank 200 years ago, we're going to make use of a submarine to get there.

The lady with the submarine says she didn't know how to put an air supply on it. Given my memories of their music, I'm not sure why she'd want to. Unless she means a supply of oxygen to breath, in which case, yeah, that's a fatal flaw, so we'll need to remedy that.

To do that, we'll need something called Oxyale. Unfortunately, there's only one source of that, which would be a nearly inaccessible mountain spring inhabited by Fairies located in a town alternately called Gaia and Hawkeye by its residents. I don't know if it's good or bad that there was no Alan Alda reference that I could find there. The good news is that we can get there by airship. The bad news is that some asshat has captured the one Fairy that still lives there and sold it to a desert caravan northwest of Onrac.

Getting to the caravan can be troublesome, as there's only a small patch of grassland to put the airship. To the east of it is the coastal forest that Onrac is in; to the north and west is the desert where the caravan is. But then, it wouldn't be Fifty-Three Steps To Success without at least one hundred-mile hike, I suppose.

The dude running the caravan wants 40 grand for the Fairy, who's still stuck in the bottle that the moron who captured it put it in. Let the thing out of the bottle and it goes back to the spring. Find it there and it gives up the Oxyale, saying only that it hopes the material helps somehow.

While I was in the area, I went to the town of Lefin, just so I could have it on the map for when I go there later. It'll be important, but first, there's the Sea Shrine to deal with. There's one other thing besides the Water Crystal to get there.

But that'll have to wait until next time. I think I should be able to one-shot this one, even if I'm not quite as lucky with Legend of Mana.

Until next time, though, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA, everybody! You know I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment