Friday, October 12, 2012

TEXT PLAY SIDE GAME: Final Fantasy (NES 1990/PS 2003 [Origins]): Issue #17: Sea Shrine

This was as long as I remember it, sadly.

At first, I thought this might take a couple issues, but then I figured I've been dividing up too many dungeons lately, so I just decided to one-shot this one. There are a few things I missed this time around, but I might go back for them before I get into the big thing for next issue.

This time around, we're going after the Sea Shrine and Kraken. It's a long process because we have to go both up and down to get everything we need here. On the top two floors, which can be accessed by taking stairs in the northeast section of the floor we enter on, are a lot of Diamond materials for the knight. I'm sure there's a whole set of those, and they'll come in handy. There's also a key item called the Rosetta Stone that we'll be needing to take to Dr. Unne later on, but we may as well get that now, too.

There are also a band of Merfolk trapped on the top floor, telling us to save the Crystal of Water. That's what I'm here for, after all. It's part of the whole Light Warriors thing going on here.

Part of the reason I was going to break this in two was I wanted to stay at the Inn in Onrak since I can basically come and go as I please from the Sea Shrine now that I've got the Diving Bell working. So, I figured I'd just make a long dungeon a little easier on myself. But when I did that, I reached for something to drink and canceled out of the save menu. I guess that was the game's way of telling me not to stop just then. So on we go.

On the way down to the bottom floor of this thing, there's a few good items as well. There's a Mage's Staff that does Fire 2 when used as an item in battle, at least one of two Light Axes that does Dia 2, and a set of Gaia Gloves that casts Sabre, as well.

Thing about this dungeon is that it's not particularly long. It's just a real maze, especially towards the bottom. But I got there eventually, with all my nice treasure. And the funny thing here is that I did it without memo files right up to just before the fight with the Kraken. One might think the second to last Fiend would be harder than this one was, but I guess Easy Mode really is in some places. It's just a matter of getting Haste and Sabre spells on the right characters once you release the Kraken.

With this out of the way quickly, it's just a matter of taking the Rosetta Stone to Unne so he can tell us how to talk to the folks in Leffen and go after the Crystal of Air. But we'll at least set that up next time. Until then, here's a little Thomas Dolby to play us out. As always, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment