Wednesday, October 24, 2012

TEXT PLAY: Legend of Mana (PlayStation; 2000): Issue #38: In Search Of Geo

I might have had the artifact for Geo for awhile now and not even known it.

After I posted the last issue, I looked at my walkthrough, and it said the artifact for Geo is something called the Tome of Magic. I've had that for awhile now, and I guess it's about time I used it.

But first, the workshops and Professor Bomb. Bomb has apparently just shown up at my homestead and taken the liberty of renovating one of the rooms in my lab for me. It needed to be done and I appreciate the effort, but really, it gets kind of bothersome that people just keep showing up like this. The magic student that put in the musical instrument room did the same thing.

Anyway, Professor Bomb comes to tell us how to build golems. Essentially, we can build our own robots in this game. Not an easy task, to be sure, but at least we're finally getting to a point where we can actually start using all the crap the monsters have been dropping instead of gold and or experience. It takes a weapon and three pieces of armor to build one of these things, and the way I understand it, we only get to make three. Kinda makes it so that a guy really has to know what he's doing in order to really make it work.

There's also a section of the lab where we can make our own weapons and armor, which I thought we'd be getting into here as well, but it seems not. Maybe there'll be something or someone in Geo that can help, so I guess that's the next thing to do: actually plop down the Tome of Magic and get to looking about.

So Geo looks a lot like a place you'd find in a classic Sinbad the Sailor movie. Rather Ottoman, to be honest. But I came here looking for Elazul so I could help him sort out his problems with saving his people. Of course, knowing my luck, I just had to stumble across Gilbert the Horny Centaur again. This time, he's flirting with Kathinja, one of the instructors at the school of magic here. I guess he's Hot For Teacher. Turns out Kathinja's students were right about being worried that she'd turn them into stone with her gaze. She's part basilisk and can do that. Unfortunately, this means I'm going to have to put up with Gilbert making boner jokes now. It's not like I wasn't going to do it myself anyway, but it's like we say at the Cap-Page Board in that it's just not as much fun if the thing we're making fun of makes the same jokes we would in the same places we would.

Anyway, our mission this time involves a student protest. They all have lame excuses to not want to go to school, and I'm the one who has to convince them to go back in order for Glibert to have a shot at getting his rocks off with Kathinja. Not a hard task, really, but not as easy as one might think, either. We all know how school is, right? There's always that one asshole who's doing things just to be part of the in crowd, and he won't go back until everybody else does. He's hiding in the items shop.

At first, I didn't realize that the one guy I needed to talk to was actually even one of the students involved with this. But after ten minutes of running around trying to figure out how to end the mission, I finally had to go look it up on the Legend of Mana Info site.

The good things to come of all this running around were that not only did I find Elazul, whom I'll be getting to next time, but I also found Southerbee and his mistress Kristine. I guess we're not done with him, Hamson and Skippie just yet after all. And there's also a handful of Final Fantasy references at the magic acadamy.

Once that last student is convinced to go back to school because all the popular kids have, too, we get to see a little scene between Gilbert and Kathinja where Gilbert fails to get his way with Kathinja just like he did with that lamp maker in Lumina. Sadly, there's one more mission with Gilbert, too. But at least this ending can be summed up with a little Spoony/MLP smashup I found awhile ago.

With that, it's back home to tell Lil' Cactus about it. Just my luck, even Cactus is making boner jokes now. What a fool.

See you next time folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment