Wednesday, October 24, 2012

TEXT PLAY: Legend of Mana (PlayStation; 2000): Issue #39: Geo Logic

This is one slow-ass quest.

I think when I'm done with this quest, I'm going to do a little Final Fantasy. It's overdue, and I'm going to need a break from Legend of Mana anyway.

See, this quest we needed Elazul to start is a perfect example of why I'd get maybe a quarter of the way through the game before I'd rage quit and then try again like a year later every time I tried it before. It's not even that this isn't exactly the most linear story ever. I like that aspect of it, even if that does sometimes make it a little hard to know where to go next. What frustrates me is that I'm well into that part of the game where they don't really tell you where to go to find the things you need to complete the specific quest you're on at any given moment.

It's something I can forgive Square for when it comes to the original Final Fantasy. It was a game they were making back in 1986 and '87, when they had to work around the limits of 8-bit systems and the game carts they played. On top of that, Square literally needed to strike gold with Final Fantasy or they were out of business. Whatever else folks like myself might feel compelled to say about the stuff they've been putting out lately, I consider myself lucky that they did indeed manage to find themselves that gold mine, because in the 90s, they did make some of my favorite games.

When it comes to Legend of Mana, on the other hand, we're talking about a game that came out for a system that runs CD-ROMs, which are vastly larger than 8-bit carts could have ever pretended to be. So even if the game lets me pick which order the quests happen in, I really don't get why navigating in those quests needs to be as hard as it is.

The one we're in now involves helping a Jumi lady named Esmerelda find the jewel cores of her three sisters, but we're not given any decent clues as to where in Geo, or the world, for that matter, they might be. I'm just presuming they're in Geo because there's been no indication that said gems would be anywhere else.

The first stop here is the Alex's Gem Store. What made me think to go there was that Elazul said that's where he'd be. As I write this, I can't remember if we're given a tip or are just sent to the Palace of Art to look around. Kristine lets us take the one in her basement store room because she thinks Jumi cores bring bad luck. After that, there aren't any real clues as to where to go next, at least that I could find. It was just luck that I thought to go look at the magic acadamy.

This part is one of those things where the “day system” in the game really does factor in. The gem we're looking for is in the principal's office, and he teaches a class on the game's Dryad Day. For some reason, Esmerelda can't or won't just ask the man for that one specific jewel he has in his display case, preferring to wait until he's off teaching his class so she can just run in and hork the damn thing behind his back. The thing that gets me here is that when she does, we're given the option to either compliment her or call her a thief. While I certainly wouldn't call Esmerelda a thief here, I don't think a compliment is called for, either. What she did may have been for a good cause, but just breaking into the office seems a little off, too, because far as I know, we never gave the principal a chance to refuse to hand over the gem core he had.

Getting the last gem core is one that I had to look up. I might have stumbled around for two hours on this one if I hadn't, because I swear, that's how long it would have taken me to figure out that I needed to go to the cafe and get behind the counter to talk to the guy running the place to get that one. That I need to go get Elazul again and go back to the Palace of Arts for this quest's boss fight is kind of obvious, I guess, because there are things that make it kind of obvious. It's the underwear gnomes nature of the middle parts of this quest that make it so frustrating.

It was a bit dumb of me to have Esmerelda go back to the academy on her own, but then again, I don't think there's going to be any way to change the ending to this quest, either. So it's off to the jewel shop and then the Palace of Arts to finish this thing.

Elazul's a bit pissed at us for letting Esmerelda run around on her own, but that's understandable. So it's off to the Palace of Arts. Kristine tells us that Esmerelda went into the store room downstairs. She's talking to a statue of somebody named Diana. Wonder Woman, perhaps? Maybe not, but she does start beaming us all over the place when we find out that Esmerelda's been kidnapped by Sandra the Jewel Thief. First it's into the battle arena below the store room to kick the first Jewel Beast's ass. I think I might have done a couple quests out of order here, but I'm sure this isn't the first time this playthrough. Elazul pretty much leaves the fight to me.

Once the monster's dead, we go to the next room where Sandra rips Esmerelda's core out and runs off herself. Our only recourse is to tell Diana's statue, who sends us back to my place. Elazul says he's going to explain the situation to Pearl, who likes living in my house. And with that, the mission ends.

There's still more Jumi stuff to do here, but I think I'm going to give Legend of Mana a break for a little while and play Final Fantasy for a bit instead. So see you then, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment