Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Life’s Funny Like That: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

I can find it cheap at my local used gaming store.  It’s right there, locked in the display case with things that people might actually want to steal.



And that last bit is why I haven’t bought it yet.  See, it would be the perfect game to get my folks more into RPGs.  It moves quickly, it’s relatively easy, and it has a decent story, which are all the elements I’ve sold them on for other games.

And I can get it for five bucks at Last Stop CD Shop.  I just have to ask about it at the counter.

In a way, though, I can almost understand why it’s that way.  I mean, if I were seriously a collector of classic Final Fantasy games, I would never have parted with the copy I had before when I needed money.

At the same time, though, I question why Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest specifically is behind glass when there were quite a few other Super Nintendo titles that were not.  Is it really that much more at risk of getting stolen than the others?

I wonder about that because I know the game.  Of the Final Fantasy titles I’ve played, Mystic Quest is pretty much the least challenging one.  This is mostly because it was designed specifically to be an intro to role-playing video games.

With that in mind, it kind of adds a stigma to it, at least in my mind.  Kind of like being a grown man with no children asking for My Little Ponies merch.  Nothing wrong with that.  Just kind of weird, really.

And that’s really the main reason why I’m writing about this.  It just seems weird to me, is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment