Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Second Thoughts: Fanfic Redos


Well, damn. This whole retyping of old fan fiction to post here is turning out to be a more difficult idea than I had originally anticipated...

So, I've managed to make a little time to make versions of the old fanfics I dredged up over the summer, but as I said, it's turning out to be a more difficult task than I had thought.

Perhaps that's because I've stupidly chosen to start with a prime contender for the worst piece of fan fiction I've ever written and published, and believe me, I've managed to pull some doozies out of my ass over the years. But in this case, it's a piece called “Tellah Story”. I think I was a sophomore or junior in high school when I wrote that the first time.

The fact that I said “first time” there is one of the real pissers about this particular one. I have a version up on fanfiction dot net that's like a second or third version that I did some years later, and I think I managed to make it suck worse than it did originally. That kind of says something, especially about how I've been dumb enough to rewrite this particular piece so many times over the years.

But it does bring a few questions to mind. One is if I should continue with what is very likely the literal fifth time I've rewritten this thing. Would appreciate a few thoughts on that from the folks who read this.

The only other thing that comes to mind is what I should do with all the old paper I have these things printed on. In this case, it seems a little more obvious, with the answer being that I should get rid of the pages I don't need any more by tossing them or recycling them somehow. But I'm gonna ask for a little input from my audience there, too.

So, while I mull this over myself and wait for comments, I think I'll pick a different piece to redo and post here.

Thanks in advance for any input.

No comments:

Post a Comment