Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fare Thee Well, Noble Steed...


It had to happen eventually. I got a different vehicle.

So, it finally happened. I traded my old car after ten years of use and abuse and got a newer vehicle. And I actually feel pretty good about it, at least in these initial hours after.

In a way, I feel like an adventurer who finally had to put his faithful old horse out to pasture, or worse, sell it to the glue factory because it was too old to have a decent life any more.

It's sad, because I think of all the fun things I did, all the adventures I had while driving that car, and realize it's the end of an era. For example, my last camping trip. I won't say it was a bad idea, but I've never gone since because it was a little dumb of me to have gone that early in the season.

Or the time I wound up in a deep ditch with steep sides because I got stupid on a slick road. It's the only time I can remember having to call for a tow truck, and it wasn't even the right thing to do.

But because of all the crazy things I'd done in that car, either intentionally or otherwise, its age was starting to show. It was five or six years old when I got it, and owned it for almost eleven myself. Given all the squeaks and other odd and potentially dangerous sounds, it was time.

So, after all of that, I'm now the proud owner of an SUV that sits higher, runs nicer, and is, all in all, a better vehicle than the 17-year-old sedan I'd been driving for the last ten of those years. All it cost me was eleven grand and my faithful steed.

Will it be worth it in the end? Only time will tell, and I'm sure I'll be bringing those adventure tales as they happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment