Monday, September 12, 2011

Memories of 9/11/01


I know I'm a little late with this, but better late than never, I suppose.

Here's something I'd hoped to have done sooner, but given the way I'm prone to procrastinate, It's a miracle I've got it done this close to on time.

What with the tenth anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks here in the United States happening this last Sunday, I've seen a lot of materials relating to what people were doing when the attacks actually occurred. Here's another entry in the pile, albeit a few hours, at least, late.

So, where was I when all this aeronautical terror was going down ten years ago? Well, I was working a temp job at the Gateway Computers factory in my home town that day. I had thought that maybe, just maybe, that job would finally be my way out of working fast food for a living. Sadly, that was not to be, though it's not entirely a bad thing that it didn't quite work out. But that's another story, for another time, perhaps.

The thing is, though, that as these things were happening, I was also getting shifted to a different department at the time, as often happens to temps. So, I was aware that something terrible was happening, that things were going to be changing drastically and quickly, but I was also trying to learn a new job and wondering if I'd still be employed by Gateway's temp service the next day.

That worry about continued employment in the computer business was, of course, tempered by the ongoing attacks. It's just that the more immediate concern was on-the-job performance.

As I found out more about what was happening, I began to worry about two cousins of mine that were living in New York at the time. As I recall, neither of them were anywhere near the World Trade Center at the time, nor did they have any reason to be there. Still, I was concerned about them, as they are family.

The only thing that I can say for sure is that things are indeed different now as a result of what happened ten years ago yesterday. There's no denying that. But life goes on, and hopefully gets better from here on. It's something to work towards, anyway, right?

Also posted at That Guy With The Glasses.  (Actual post here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment