Sunday, October 9, 2011

Captain Creepy: Oreo the Dog


Now I kind of understand why people think furries are creepy...

People who have been following this blog and/or the things I write for That Guy With The Glasses have probably known, or at least had some idea, for awhile that I'm something of a furry. For the moment, I'll leave anyone who's curious about what that means to look it up for themselves. For the most part, I'm a fairly normal guy, all things considered.

Now, when I say normal, I mean that I generally like to stick to anthropomorphic characters that are created and/or already established as such. Since I also consider myself to be straight, this also means female characters along the lines of, just to state a few stereotypical favorites here, Minerva Mink from Animaniacs; Rouge the Bat from the recent Sonic the Hedgehog games, comics, and anime; Krystal of Star Fox fame; and Digimon favorite Renamon.

Since these characters were already designed as they are and have at least become fairly well established over the years, I never saw much reason to say that guys like me are creepy. After all, at least part of the intent of the characters I've mentioned above was to play to shy, nerdy guys like myself, and they've done their jobs outstandingly.

But something unusual happened today. See, I was watching a blog by a guy called Spoony on his site while I had my lunch. The subject, in this case, was one of the weirdest role-playing arcs he'd ever been a game master for, but that's only tangential to this story.

As most of Spoony's followers probably already know, last week, he got himself a dog that he named Oreo because of a big round patch of black or brown fur on her back.

For those of you who might have been wondering, yes, this is where it gets creepy, but not for the reasons you might think. All the same, though, I'd recommend that those of you who can see where this is going and are prone to not handling ideas like this well stop reading now.

It didn't occur to me as I watched Spoony play with Oreo as he told his story. It was quite interesting to listen to the man talk about one of the most unique role-playing scenarios I'll probably ever get to hear about. The weird idea didn't start to turn up until I was off doing things with the rest of the day.

While I was out running errands and on my way over to visit my parents for awhile, my mind began to wander, and I started thinking that it would be kind of cool if there was an anthropomorphised version of Oreo. She strikes me as the kind of dog that would make a great furry character. Not quite sure why that is, but there you go.

And, no, just in case anyone's wondering, I'm not going to attempt fan art to that effect. Even if it is a creepy idea, it deserves to be done by someone with more artistic talent than me.

I find the idea a bit creepy because this is actually the first time I've looked at a real live animal and wondered what it would look like anthropomorphised. It seems a little weird to me to be having this sort of idea about somebody else's pet. Hell, it seems messed up to think about any pet in that way.

In the end, I have to wonder if this is the sort of thing Weird Al was thinking of when he wrote and performed Do I Creep You Out?

In a lot of cases, I'm sure I do, and I'm sure I'll be hearing about it soon, and for a good long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment