Saturday, October 1, 2011

About the Breath of Fire Text Play

I'd like to think we've all seen this, or at least something like it, coming for quite a while now.

At first, I was going to just call the Breath of Fire playthrough I was doing here cancelled and done with, but then I realized that it's one of the more popular things I do on this blog.  So I'm still considering what exactly I want to do with that.

For now, I think I'm just going to say that it's on a break or hiatus.  It may be back in the future, but I haven't decided yet.

Two big reasons why I've had so much trouble making new entries in the series and/or deciding if I was even going to continue are the weather and my day job.  You see, when I started with this Text Play idea, it was just starting to get into a long, cold winter, which is something we're known for in my part of the country.  There was plenty of time, and good reason, to stay inside, out of the cold and snow as much as possible, especially at night, and playing a good RPG was a reasonable thing to do with that time.

Also, I could say with reasonable certainty what my days off would be at work.  For the longest time, several years, in fact, my days off were Monday and Tuesday, and I'd usually be off by 5 PM on Thursday, and I knew I'd have time on at least one, if not all, of those days to write a new entry.  And considering the sort of winter we had last year, especially when combined with the vehicle I had at the time, going out to do things was, often times, ill advised at best, if I didn't have to, so staying home to do the blogs was a good alternative.

But the thing is, when summer came around, a lot of that changed.  The first part was rainy and really wet, which meant that I spent a good deal of time trying to keep my apartment clean and dry.  Once the rain stopped, things got really hot, which wreaked havoc on the power grid.  Many times, when I might otherwise have worked on this Text Play project, the power would be out for extended periods due to equipment malfunctions, overheats, and breakdowns in the system.

When there were decent days for being outside in more recent weeks, I found myself preferring to do things there instead of staying inside to play video games and write about it.

With all that in mind, I find that I've become demotivated to the task of continuing with the Breath of Fire Text Play.  So, I feel as though I owe my readers an explanation and something of a decision.

That decision is that, at least for the moment, the Text Play is on hold.  For how long, I don't know just yet.  I might pick it up again in a month, I might be done for good.  I'll let you know when I've got a more firm decision.

In the meantime, here's something I'll be considering, and I'd like for my readers to consider as well.  If and when I return to this Text Play thing, should I continue with Breath of Fire where I left off; start over; pick a new game; or continue and pick a different game?  I'm considering going with both right now, but that may change as time goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment