Sunday, December 25, 2011

Jesse’s Adventure Blog: The Old Floppies, Part One


Yes, the title is a ripoff of the vlog series professional YouTuber Jonathan Paula does called Jon’s Adventure Vlog, and I can guarantee this won’t be nearly as interesting.

All the same, there I was in the wee hours of Christmas morning, in need of a break from a rather tedious task.  Sadly, that task was not been delivering presents to kids.  That task had been going through a few boxes of old computer disks I found in my closet to see if I could find anything worth saving on them.

So far, not much looks to be worth the effort.  Most of it seems like stuff I have several redundant copies of already, and a lot of the rest is stuff that should probably be left forgotten to time and space.

One big thing I’m learning in all of this is why current trends in computing are away from physical media.  Floppies were kind of shit, even back in the day, now that I think about it.  Age and lack of use have not been kind to the ones I’m trying to pull stuff off of now.  Especially on the older disks, there’s been a lot of corrupted files that just couldn’t be read for one reason or another.

The good news is that I think I’ve gone through the bulk of the ones that have anything at all worthwhile on them.  That’s a big accomplishment, I think.

From here, it’s just a matter of slogging through all this stuff to see what I can get.  Details as they become available, folks.  Will let you know as things progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment