Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Fireflies


There seem to be a lot of them in my area lately.



The crazy thing of it is, I grew up around here, and I don't remember there being anywhere nearly as many fireflies around as there have been the last few. It's not so much for a lack of time outside in the evenings and nights, either. At least, not to the degree that some might think, anyway.



Granted, we've had a couple wet years recently, and from what I understand, fireflies do thrive in wet weather. But even then, last year was dry by comparison, and then we had a big ice storm this spring, too, which I would think might have done a fair amount of damage to the insect population in general.



All the same, it seems like there are more lightning bugs around this year than I really remember from years gone by, and it's been this way for awhile now. Not that I'm complaining or anything. It just seems odd, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment