Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Jesse's Adventure Blog: The Old Floppies, Part Two


Well, that took longer than need be, but at least I've got 'er done now.

Mostly, anyway. There's still the matter of going through all the files to see what is worth keeping and what is not. Most, more than likely, will not be worth keeping, as I said in part one. At the same time, there are a few things worth keeping. I may even post some of them here.

Some of the things I found that are worth keeping and may find their way here are even things I remember why I kept, all these years later. In one or two cases, they're things I can post in raw form. In some others, there are things I'll have to do a little work with first. So, there's something to be on the lookout for at some point in the future

One thing I feel kind of bad about is how many disks I found that didn't have what I was hoping on them, either because they had become mislabled over the course of the years or because they were either broken or empty. Probably the biggest disappointment on that front was the disk that said it had my exit portfolio from when I got my bachelors degree, some ten years ago. It's unfortunate that that disk in particular was empty, but perhaps for the best, as well. All that has become very outdated and irrelevant over the last decade, and as nice as it would have been to have it around for purposes of personal history, it's just as well that it's gone now.

Amongst the other disks was a collection of setup disks for the very first modern computer my family had. We got it in the mid 1990s, when my mom was working on a masters degree and needed one that could connect to the Internet, as she was taking some of the classes in an early online learning program. That software is now a good twenty years out of date, and I'm not sure I even have all the disks for it any more anyhow. I'll probably be throwing them out in the next couple weeks, but for the time being, I'll hold on to them.

One other remnant of this little project I'll be holding onto for awhile are the containers that all the disks are/were in. I've got two desk filers meant for 3.5 inch floppies, since that's what was common back in the day. Once I'm actually done with those, I'll probably give them to the Goodwill, since there might still be some use for them, even if not for me.

As I write this, I'm taking a break from this little project again. For now, it's all burned onto CD-Rs. There's a chance that there'll be a part three to this, but I won't make any promises. I may just start posting what I think is worth posting once I get it all on my main computer.

Until then, see you around, folks. Happy adventuring!

No comments:

Post a Comment