Thursday, February 2, 2012

Groundhog Day Update

If a tired blogger sees his shadow this morning, does it mean six more weeks of winter?

Nah, that's Punxsutawney Phil, the "phamous" groundhog from the town in Pennsylvania that I'm thinking of.  But this post is something of an update about things to come later on today.

In a bit here, I'll be going to bed so I'm at least a tiny bit rested up for the other stuff.  But first, I wanted to let you all know about the other stuff.

See, today is Groundhog Day here in the US, which means in a few hours, some folks in that town I referenced earlier will be using their famous groundhog to forecast how much longer winter is likely to last.  The legend goes that if the large rodent this traditional holiday is based on sees its shadow, there's going to be six more weeks of winter because the animal got scared and went back in its hole.  If he doesn't, winter's on the way out.

The thing I learned about this in college is that we don't really need the groundhog or its shadow for that.  What we do need to know about is how weather works.  The more clouds there are in the sky now, the shorter winter will be from here on, because things are starting to warm up and the clouds will keep that extra heat in at night.  Fewer clouds will let that heat out at night, and winter may go on for a good six more weeks as a result.

The other big thing here is that I'm at least hoping to get the last "messing around" chapter of my Text Play of Final Fantasy 4 up before work.  I'm not making any promises about that, because there are still a couple tweaks I've gotta make, and there are other things that have to come first.  But I should have that up and ready to go before this time tomorrow unless something comes up.

I think that wraps up this update.  See you with the Text Play soon, I hope.

Happy Groundhog Day, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment