Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Let The "Fun" Begin...

So, I'm finally getting around to doing something with those files I took off my old floppies.

I've got a few megs worth transferred to my hard drive finally.  In the course of going through them, I've already come across some that I can't or won't post.  Some are for ethical reasons, others are because I'm not really sure I want to install or activate more software on my computer.

The ones that I won't be posting for moral or ethical reasons are because the contents of those files were never mine to begin with, and I'm not entirely sure how those files even wound up in my possession to begin with.  I've got some ideas, but none I'm exactly willing to commit to publicly.  Regardless, though, I won't be publishing those things here because I'd rather not wind up having to deal with the associated legal issues that might come up as a result.

And then there are the ones that I'm pretty sure are mine but I can't open without installing and/or activating programs on my computer that I don't really want to.  See, back in the day, the default productivity suite on most consumer PCs like mine was Microsoft Works, and I used it because I didn't have much other choice at the time.  In the ten or fifteen years since, I've moved on to other such suites and brands that meet my needs just as well or better.  Unfortunately, I can't get at some of my older, forgotten work now because it's still in the Works format, which I was really hoping OpenOffice could handle, but apparently not.

One good thing is that it would seem that the consumer version of Windows, at least as of the version of Vista that came on my current computer, still ships with Works on it, albeit a version that I'd have to activate to use.  While it might be interesting to see what kind of reaction I might get out of some of these things, I'm not sure it would be worth it to activate a second productivity suite on this computer.  After all, OpenOffice seems to meet my needs well enough.  I'm not sure I'd need or want the Microsoft one from twenty-plus years ago just to open up files that are just about as old in some cases.

At any rate, I'll do what I can with what I can in the near future.  If there's sufficient interest in what I've got saved as Works files, I'll set up a way to open those files.

Either way, some interesting old work from yours truly should be on its way soon.  See you in the near future, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment