Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Frustration Or Two

Much as I dislike writing about my frustrations sometimes, if I don't do something about them, they may wind up doing something about me.


First off, when I decided I was going to make this specific post, I had two topics I was going to write about, but then I went to take care of something first and forgot what one of them was.  That annoys the hell out of me because I know it's going to come back to bother me later.  If it comes back when I'm trying to sleep, it'll keep me up, and I can't have that because I need the sleep.  If it happens during my shift at work, I just hope I'll have to make a note about it on paper so I can remember later.

But I do remember what the other big frustration was.  It's work related, of course, which is a little unfortunate because I kinda need the job and the income it provides.  The frustration comes from the fact that I've got a few co-workers who are in the habit of showing up for work at least a half hour, and often times more, before their shifts start.  This isn't entirely a bad thing, at least for them, because it keeps them from being late.

The frustrating thing for me, though, is that a lot of the time, these fellows tend to be my replacements when my shift ends.  Now, I know some folks might think I'd be happy about that, as it means I'm able to get off from work on time. And in a way, I am.  I like being able to come home on time.

While I'm sure these guys have good reasons for showing up for their jobs, in uniform, at least a half hour before their shifts start, it kinda bugs me, in spite of the fact that yeah, it does benefit me in some way.

The thing that really makes it bad for me is wondering if these guys are showing up so early because they don't have anything else to do with their time, either between jobs, or at home before work, whichever the case may be.  Granted, this isn't exactly the most exciting place ever that I live and work in, and quite a few of the options nearby my place of employment can be a bit pricey, but there are things to do.

And if showing up at the place where we work is the only option really available to them, I must wonder, what, no books, no newspapers, nothing but hanging around, looking bored?  I mean, really, there's gotta be something, right?  Something other than watching those of us on shift work?

Much as I don't want to lose hours at work, I suppose I can if it comes to that.  I've certainly got ways I could use the time if they don't, and some of those ways might even wind up making me back a little of the money I'm giving up by not being at work, if not directly, then indirectly.

It just bugs the hell out of me to know that there are other things I could be doing with those half-hours or hours that might actually be better if I'd just sit down and try to make a little more of them than I already do when I see people sitting or standing around, ready to work, at my job, but not actually clocked in and doing it.

Anyway, I'm glad I got that off my chest.  I've got a couple things to take care of now, but I may be back later on to do another blog.  The next one will be a little more positive in nature, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment