Saturday, December 25, 2010

So This Is Christmas...

Ah, Christmas.  The one time of year when we Americans tend to show our true nature.

First off, let me apologize to those of you following my Text Play of Breath of Fire in this space.  I had intended to have a new chapter up yesterday, but things came up and it didn't happen.   As with all good intentions, it seems they have a way of going bad once stated.

Now, on to something more relevant to the day at hand: Christmas.  To some, it's a day to celebrate the day their savior was born.  A more ancient tradition is a celebration of the winter solstice and a ceremony to reignite the sun, which has been getting lower in the sky and providing less light and warmth.  Of course, as we've come to understand in this modern age, the tilt of the earth has more to do with the changes in the weather than the sun itself, and that perhaps the particular savior in question was born in either the spring or the fall.

In this day and age, it would seem that this whole Christmas thing has become more about money and economic gain than anything spiritual.  Not that this is entirely a bad thing, of course.  Still, the focus on things, material goods, can't be entirely good, either.  It makes me worry about what kind of people we're becoming, as a culture.

Granted, I have my flaws, just like everyone else.  I do my best to keep them in check, which isn't always easy, and all too often, I fail.  Still, I try.

But anyway, personal concerns aside, I suppose I should get to some sort of decent point here and say that I hope you all had a good holiday, no matter what you believe or what your faith is.  Best of the season to you, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment