Wednesday, April 18, 2012

From The Old Floppies: Issue #10: Selections from "MacKedzie's Journal", Part One

There are some things that make me realize I've made a few mistakes along the way to getting into this whole blogging thing.  One of those things is a project I did in 2003 and early 2004 called "MacKedzie's Journal".  Essentially, it was a thinly disguised blog that I was doing on Fiction Press.  These were barely-fictionalized tellings of various things that had happened on a given day.  I suspect that an early form of Blogger may have been around at the time, and if I'd have been using it then in a way even remotely like I do now, I may have actually gotten somewhere with it all.

Of course, at the time, these were simultaneously more personal and more negative than they should have been.  Perhaps it's for the best that they were buried on FP and eventually taken down not long after.  And all this gets me to thinking that perhaps I could have put them on LiveJournal, which is something I'm constantly forgetting that I have an account on, as well.  Maybe one day I'll post excerpts there that I don't post here.

In the meantime, however, here the first two of maybe four or six randomly selected chapters my proto-blog for your perusal.
========================================================

"MacKedzie's Journal"
A semi-original journal-style story by Jesse Shearer.
Any similarities to any real person, living or dead, are purely coincidental and
are unintentional.

Entry No. 2:
Boredom

I really dislike days like today. And it's not so much the day as a whole I
don't like, it's just the way it's ending. I'm so bored it's not even close to
funny. I know I've got things to do and I should be doing them, but I'd be bored
later if I did that. Which leaves me with the worst kind of boredom.
It's the kind of boredom that makes it so a person can't think straight. I want
something to do to relieve the boredom, but I'm too out of it to come up with
what that might be. The worst of the situation is that it stems from a sameness
makes a person rather apathetic about life, and that's not a good thing for
someone like me. I want to care, I really do. There's just nothing in my life
that I really want to care about, and I don't feel like changing that.
I'm bored from the sameness and that could prove deadly. Boredom and sameness
rarely if ever kill a person directly. It's all the other little things that do
it. Mostly diseases, but sometimes other, slightly more horrible things come
along as well.
Writing this journal does relieve some of my boredom. I guess I'm feeling enough
better now to go onto other things. How long that'll last, I'm not sure, so I
won't waste the moment. I'll be back soon, journal. Good night.
--Londo


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"MacKedzie's Journal"
A semi-original journal-style story by Jesse Shearer
Any similarity to any real person, living or dead, is purely coincidental and
unintentional.
Entry No. 4:
This town needs a life.
Yes, the city I live in needs a live. Whole damn town. I need a life, too, of
course, which is an issue in and of itself. But seriously, when it's a nice
spring day like today was, I can't understand why anyone would want to spend it
at a shopping mall and eating fast food. Granted, I don't want to talk myself
out of a job or anything, but what really gets me is how people come to do this
stuff in droves. It's really quite a waste of a day, especially when it's the
first really nice Saturday of the year.
Like I said, I need a life, too. But at least I would have given a little
thought to maybe going to a lake and fishing for awhile, or at least having a
fire to cook some hot dogs over, if I hadn't had to work today. Not that I
actually would have, mind you, but at least I would have thought to myself that
"Hey, I should get out of the city for awhile." Sometimes I really wonder about
this stuff. That really gets me down.
Anyway, I suppose I'd better stop thinking about it now and go do other things
for a while. Good night, journal.
--Londo

========================================================

As I said at the top of the piece, many of the "entries" I made in this initial "pseudo-blog" series from days gone by are more personal than they should have been and more negative than I would prefer to be about things.  Still, the sentiment that went into writing some of them still remains, for better or worse, to at least some extent.

I may live to regret re-posting and revisiting some of these things, but at the same time, I truly believe that the same could, and should, really, be said of leaving them lay forgotten on old floppies and CDs, decaying in boxes and drawers.  With that in mind, I believe it to be the wiser choice to take my chances with posting these.  Given any luck at all, the least I can hope for is that less bad will come from having the bravery to do this.  See you later, with more of these, and other, more current material as well

No comments:

Post a Comment