Wednesday, August 29, 2012

TEXT PLAY: Legend of Mana (PlayStation; 2000): Issue #28: Of Lilipeas and Dumbasses...

Doncha just hate it when plans go wrong?

The plan here was that I'd be going to find Sierra and head off to the Underworld to work on getting my soul back. The trick here, of course, is that critical first step of finding Sierra. Now, the thing that made most sense to me was to go looking for her in the White Forest. I mean, that's where she was last time, right? You know, when my pet zombie Ed Frid and I pretty much beat the living shit out of her and her patron dragon Vadise? Well, if you're guessing that's what would happen, you'd be wrong, because I sure was.

Turns out what I found instead was my three favorite dumbasses, Hamfist, Slapjackie, and Dumblebee. Or, as the game would have them called, Hamson, Skippie, and Southerbee. This time around, the trio has been assigned to find a village of something called Lilipeas for whoever the hell it is they work for. They only get a thousand Lucre a pop for these things, but since there's that matter of the debt that Hamson and Skippie apparently have, bringing back the whole village just might clear out a good portion of that.

And what we have here is pretty much the first mission that I'll really be taking multiple issues for. Southerbee tells me that I'd better help Hamson and Skippie find these things because he'll give the the grand apiece for any I bring back, too. Now, naturally, I expected that to mean I'd have a hell of a time getting them to work together. That's how it was last time I had to futzer around with this trio of numbnutses that make the Three Stooges seem like geniuses, after all. But after a while of running around the forest, and the requisite solo encounters with the highly indebted pair of adventurers had led me to release some Lilipeas from barrels, I wound up finding them working together without my help.

I guess they must have heard theDoctor's big speech from The Pandorica Opens, because just as they reach the entrance to the Lilipeas' village, they decide that what they should do is run from their debt instead of continuing to try paying it. And on top of that, it would be Quaker Oats for them to go their own separate ways, which seems to start two new missions, as well: Legend of Hamson and Legend of Skippie. I'll probably have to deal with those in a bit, but first, I'm going to look in on the village, since Hamfist and Slapjackie were nice enough to point me in the right direction for that before running off.

Turns out, though, in this case, I'll be dealing with the Right Reverend Nouvelle from the church in Domina. He knows a little bit about the Lilipeas and offers to help. There's also one with a bird or something on its head. But since it was getting late when I was doing this, I figured I'd better just save the game and get a little sleep first. Wouldn't be surprised if I ran into Captain Jack Harkness in there someplace, too.

Since I've gone someplace I didn't intend to, I suppose I'd better save figuring this out for when I've had a little sleep and some decent time on my hands. New languages are hard, especially ones like this. So, until them, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment