Sunday, August 26, 2012

TEXT PLAY SIDE GAME: Final Fantasy (NES 1990/PS 2003 [Origins]): Issue #13: Audiophile

So, I'm revisiting a few locations, just to grind a bit and maybe have a higher percentage of items collected.

It's really not that I need the levels or gold this go around. This is easy mode, after all. It's a lot easier than I remember the original NES version being. Given my luck, though, that'll likely change.

But really, another reason for me to be doing this is that I need to get my party of monks caught up a little better. They're still at the Earth Cave, where my main party is already set to go after the fire fiend. Might want to get around to that sometime soon.

Anyway, here's what I got accomplished this time around. I got the Marsh Cave and Western Keep both cleared out. Like I said before, at this point, it's not like I really need the levels or gold. I've got 150,000 gold, more or less, and even after I bought pretty much all the spells my knight will need, that really hadn't changed all that much. I think I forgot to mention that the knight could learn up to level three white magic. Kind of makes things a little easier later on.

Speaking of such things, there's the monk, who class changed into a master. I finally took off all his equipment because his defensive stats were noticeably better without it.

In a bit, I'll be going back into the Earth Cave with this party, because I didn't come even close to getting everything out of there, and I'm interested to see what all's in there. But that's for next issue of this Text Play.

To wrap this up, I should explain why I called this issue “Audiophile”. See, I've been meaning to get myself some headphones to use while playing these games, since I do a lot of this late at night, and I want to listen to the music without disturbing the neighbors. Recently, I managed just that, though not intentionally. I needed to replace the headset I'd been using on my computer, and the first pair of phones I got had a cord that was too short for that, but it's just long enough to use on the television.

Like I think I may have said at the beginning, I'm quite the fan of video game music, especially from the Final Fantasy series. Nobuo Uematsu has always been good at it, and it really showed in these 8-bit games. The upgrades for the Origins version of this game are a real treat. I liked it when I was playing it through the onboard speakers on my TV, but now that I'm using the headphones, the battle theme and victory fanfare especially really sound great. I can't wait to hear what the music from Legend of Mana sounds like through my new Sony phones, even if it is by a different composer. I'm really hoping it's equally spectacular.

I'm so pumped, in fact, that I think I'll make that my next Text Play post. It's about time I got back to being a little horndog over a video game character. Somehow, though, I suspect I'm the only one who missed that.

At any rate, see you then, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment