Monday, August 20, 2012

TEXT PLAY SIDE GAME: Final Fantasy (NES 1990/PS 2003 [Origins]): Issue #11: Save States, Soft Resets And Doing It Wrong...

Save states and the soft reset function Sony built into these PlayStation consoles really came in handy, and I still did it wrong...

So, what I've been doing here is called sequence breaking. That's pretty much where you go through a game's dungeon in an order other than intended by the game's authors. In this case, I'm supposed to go through the volcano first, but I did the Ice Cave instead. Wouldn't have been able to do it had it not been for the memo files that we can use here, especially when combined with the soft reset function. The monsters here... Well, I'd use my “You're Gonna Die” clip here, but the boss of this plot point is a pussy, relative to the monsters in the random encounters.

These monsters include the Mind Flayer, with no less than two one-hit-kill attacks, and a pallet-swapped version of Astos that can pretty much murder the party. And there are Ice Dragons in here that can use an arctic wind attack. That pretty much wiped out my party right away, too. But at least in all my screwing around here, I did find a treasure trove that got my gold count up to almost 100,000.

After getting my ass beat by the Astos pallet-swaps guarding the secondary treasures with the Levistone in the Ice Cave a few times, I just went for the main thing. Like I said, the boss here, the Evil Eye, is a pussy compared to the random monsters. It barely got one attack in before I killed it then abandoned cave with the stone and a shitload of gil for my effort.

Once I had the Levistone, I went to get the airship out of the Lykion Desert. No big deal there, but using the stone in the middle of the desert brings about the first appearance of one of the series' most iconic things. It seems like all the main series games that I've played have involved these flying craft in one way, shape, or form or another. Of course, that says nothing of Five or anything after Nine, but then again, those are all games I've never played.

And then, knowing my luck, I find out I did all this wrong when I took the airship up to the Castle of Ordeals and found it surrounded by swamp. As long-time players of the series will tell you, airships can only land on grassland-type landforms, which means I'm going to have to either hike it the way the game wants me to or go back and get the ship so I can kind of cheat. Neither is a particularly appealing option at this point, but maybe if I sleep on it a bit, I'll have a better idea of what I want to do.

Sleep well, folks, and as always, keep on gaming, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment