Wednesday, August 15, 2012

TEXT PLAY: Legend of Mana (PlayStation; 2000): Issue #26: Tristram And The Elixer

That would be a Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (playlist here) reference, for folks not in the know.

You know, I've been meaning to shell out the cash to get Mystic Quest back in my collection for a good, oh, two years now. But that's a matter for another time. Right now, we need to get on with murdering another of Fa'Diel's dragons because that's what Satan wants.

So, first things first, it's off to the graveyard to pick up Larc. He sure likes hanging out there, but I guess that's what we should expect from a guy who works for Teh Deevil. Or, really, I should give this version a little more respect until I actually manage to kick his ass at least once. He's the Devil.

Anyway, onto the misson. It's a bone dungeon this time. This is one of my favorite dungeons in the game for a couple reasons. One is that it's a rather clever little puzzle that requires bringing either a pet or Bud or Lisa along as well as Larc to solve, and I'd forgotten that bit until I'd already retrieved Larc, so I went and got my pet Chocobo Dalton. The other is that we have to go essentially one on one with Sierra in the course of this one, and based on what I've said before, I know what you're thinking. Much as I may fantasize about such things, such is not the case, at least not as part of the game.

At first, of course, I thought I was going good when Larc and the hero had to fight a nameless dragoon working for the Dragon of Knowlege, Jajara. I think I'll call him Dragoon Sec, after the lead Dalek from the Daleks In Manhattan episode of Doctor Who. He does threaten to exterminate us, after all, and he fails miserably. And then I went in and found I needed three party members instead of two.

Once we actually get into the Bone Dungeon, as it's formally called, with the right number of party members, the party is split up almost instantly. I'm alone by an elevator in the basement, but that's soon remedied, as Dalton's in a side room down there, and can be picked up along with some treasure right off. From there, we have to go to the second floor to look for Larc. There's a non-combative version of Dragoon Sec who says we need some sort of brand to get past him this time in the chamber to the left. Once we find that out, Sierra puts in an appearance.

At first, we only hear Sierra's voice, as she asks if we're looking for Larc. Well, yeah, but only because the story demands it. I'd much rather be looking for her, to be honest. Then she beams in from someplace and asks why I'm working for Drakonis. As I've said before, the guy's pretty much Satan, and he's got the title deed to my soul right now, which means I've gotta do what he says until I find a way to get it back. Sierra goes on to say that we certainly must know why Drakonis is doing what he's doing, and then asks us if she's right. Yeah, I know, but play stupid all the same. Not really sure if it matters. Saying that I don't know what the Dark Lord is after gets us into a fight with Sierra, who says it's a pity that she's going to have to kill me in hopes that losing a good fighter will be enough to make Satan give up, thusly making it so she doesn't have to hurt Larc. First of all, sorry, doesn't work that way; not how the Devil works. Second, I can't die. No game without the player avatar, after all, and besides, underestimating me is usually not a good idea. It's got this funny way of going badly for folks, especially if they upset me in the process.

Once Sierra's taken care of this time around, she drops a key as she's beamed back out. I guess this key is what Dragoon Sec was looking for, and he lets us through to Larc. When he comes to, he does so with a start, saying something about his sister. Spoiler alert: he means Sierra. That'll be confirmed by the time this is all over I hope he doesn't mind my being a bit sweet on her, even if there's a good deal of fighting amongst us going on right now.

On the way out, we run into a skull that tells us we should be very careful about what we're doing because it did something like it when it was alive and wound up betrayed and stuck in the Bone Fortress for all eternity. Must say, it's kind of a surprise finding Spoony in this game, even if he's talking about a different one entirely here.

After that, we've finally got access to the first floor, where we actually get to hit all three switches at once, like we were going to when we first came in. This will activate the battle with Jajara, which happens on the third floor. This one isn't as hard a fight as the one with Akrivator, though it does take just about as long because it happens in three parts. The first part is actually with what appears to be Lich from Final Fantasy. The next two parts are with the dragon himself, and although they're not hard, per se, there are two parts, both of which leave gold and XP.

Once Jajara is gone, Larc sends the Mana Crystal's energy to his master and gives us a chance to ask one question. Our choices are about Mana, about Drakonis, and “What Next?”. Speaking as the guy at the keyboard here instead of the avatar in the game, I don't particularly care about Mana, really, and maybe I should go back at some point just to see what the “What next?” option gets me. But for now, I ask about Drakonis. Larc says I need not concern myself with that beyond knowing that he likes me for being such a good fighter. He then turns over the Green Cane artifact. Given memories of previous playthroughs, I guess next time we'll be saying bye-bye to Larc and getting his ever-so-sexy sister in his place. But that's a bit of Indiana Jonesing for next time.

Until then, my friends, stay safe, keep gaming, have fun, and, as always, DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment