Wednesday, August 22, 2012

TEXT PLAY SIDE GAME: Final Fantasy (NES 1990/PS 2003 [Origins]): Issue #12: Class Change

Good news and bad below the jump, folks.

The good news is that the class change really only had one really major hitch to it. The bad news is that the one major hitch I speak of pretty much means that my Origins disk is essentially buggered. Those of you reading this by way of the links I post to the CLG Forums may remember from last year when I said something about this. Turns out that either the disk or, less likely, my PS2 is messed up, because there was a fight I got into in Castle Ordeals where I tried to use the Quake spell and locked up the game so bad that I had to do a hard reset and the PS2 wouldn't read the disk after the first attempt. It's possible that it's the console that's to blame because I tend to get power surges in my apartment due to odd wiring that may have damaged the unit, but not likely, because I don't have this trouble with other games.

But anyway, the class change quest. It's not particularly difficult, at least in this version, with this party. The only major hitch was, as noted, when I tried to use the quake spell and wound up locking up the game. At least it was worth going back to that point, because it's a guarded chest with the Gauntlets in it, which cast Lit-2 when used as an item, which really comes in handy. It's really just a matter of trial and error until you get through the maze. By the time I got to the Zombie Dragons guarding the exit, I was already at level 21. I only got two this time, which really made it easy, just using Fire 3 and Dia 3 on them. The fighter and monk really only got attacks in because they were faster than the mages.

From there, it was just a matter of getting back to the airship and figuring out which of the caves in the Cardia Islands that the dragon king, Bahamut, was in. It's the southeast one on the island with two caves on it. Bahamut grants you what he calls more worthy titles for heroes, upgrading everybody to stronger forms. Cecil's a knight now, Yang's a master, and Rosa and myself are White and Black Wizards, respectively. From here, it's off to the volcano and then a little grinding and upgrading magic. I'll probably do a running around issue for the grinding, once I've taken out fire fiend Kary, because there's lots of cool stuff I've left behind in other areas. I probably won't have any need to keep any of it unless it's a specialty weapon that I think I'll be able to use, but it's worthy of noting them all the same.

With that in mind, we'll get started on the volcano next time. Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA! See you soon, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment