Friday, August 31, 2012

TEXT PLAY: Legend of Mana (PlayStation; 2000): Issue #29: Pwa!

You know something? I'm getting a serious sense of deja vu off this, and I'm pretty sure I haven't done this part of the game yet.

At least not so far as the Text Play is concerned, far as I can remember. Granted, this is not my first time playing this game, though if I do finish it this time, it will be the first. But I'm sure I haven't done this part of it as recently as it seems like I have.

But anyway, cracking this thing's a bit of a trick, in a lot of ways. Getting through this is trickier than I remember, in spite of how recently it seems I've done it. I've gotta go around talking to all the Lilipeas and Nouvelle, who translates what they're all saying. Eventually, I've gotta get Nouvelle to tell me what the village elder is saying. The elder is quite clearly the one with the bird on it.

The trick in that is not so much figuring it out as it is getting Nouvelle to follow you to a place where he can hear the Lilipea elder speak and translate what he's saying. This particular scene reminds me of an all-too-common sensation from the everyday life I'm trying to use video games to escape in that it seems like I can't take more than two god damned steps in a row without tripping over at least one of the little fuckers running around the place. If I'd have been driving a bus or an 18-wheeler, half of them would have been dead before I got to read what they had to say for the number of them that just jumped right out in front of me.

But eventually, I did get Nouvelle and the elder together, and it turns out there's a monster I've gotta kill to end the mission. Figuring that out was no more difficult than anything else this mission. And this wasn't even all that hard a fight. It was against a souped-up version of the Mantis Ant. Some sort of bee monster, I guess. There's no great reward here, just 850 XP, a couple hundred Lucre, and some Visiel Gold from the elder. Because this is one of those quests that's more frustrating than anything, I'll take it and be glad I'm done with it, especially since I did get a level out of it.

Really, though, this whole quest reminds me of the first episode of Spoony's LP of SWAT 4. The kicker here is that on the way out, we get to talk to Southerbee again, who seems to think that Hamson and Skippie are out to get every last Lilipea they can. Oh, if he only knew. And I'm just frustrated enough to want to mace the guy in the eyes on the way out.

But anyway, I guess this means I'll have to go to the entrance to the underworld to get Sierra, so I'll try that next time, just to see what happens. Hopefully, there'll be a chance to run around in the White Forest some before we actually get down to the business of going to hell. Then again, I may just want to get with it, given my luck thus far.

Until next time, folks, keep gaming, have fun, stay safe, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment