Tuesday, July 24, 2012

TEXT PLAY: Legend of Mana (PlayStation; 2000): Issue #22: More Indiana Jones...?



What can I say? The first three Indiana Jones movies were very influential for my generation, right up there with the original Star Wars trilogy. The way this Text Play is going, I've got a good feeling about eventually making at least one joke involving the Star Wars theme before it's all over. But we'll get to that when the need arises.

For now, though, we're going to get all set up for dealing with an artifact that the tree in the backyard of the Home area called the Golden Seed. From what I've read, this gives us another place to use all those seeds we can get from plant-type monsters, amongst other things. I got it when I went to talk to it after I got three cabadillos off its branches. Before I go do that, though, there are a few things I need to do first.

Number one on the list is something I don't even need to leave my in-game house for: get one of my pet monsters to bring along. In this case, I'm taking one of the more recent additions to my menagerie, a wolf-type thing called Mike Hamar, after the Red Green character. That's sort of been the motif, really, hasn't it?

From there, it's back to Lumina to get a much needed upgrade for my weapons and armor. In this case, I got a sword, gauntlets, and boots, all made out of what the game calls Lorant Silver. Of course, Capella saw me coming through and decided that there was no need to be afraid of the sword-wielding fighter who seemed to have picked up a pet wolf since we'd last seen him and made a very good effort to block my way to the store.

Once that was taken care of, I went to check out the rest of the town. I ran into Pokheil, who gave us a warning about going to the Underworld. Be careful, essentially, though I think I liked Babylon 5's version better. After that, he beams out or something, and I don't get to ask what he means. But since it seems that nobody else has anything new or useful to say at this point, I guess it's off to see what happens when I do this whole Golden Seed thing.

Unfortunately, I built that up a little more than I had intended to, but much like naming my pets after Red Green characters this playthrough, these ten or twelve issues or so have been me doing artifacts and lands that, by and large, I've never bothered with before. I had honestly thought that the Golden Seed would bring something more epic than it did.

What I got, however, was just another instance of the Orchard back in the Home area. Quite literally, it's the Orchard and nothing more, just going straight to the world map from the exit instead of to the rest of the Home map.

But since these last couple issues haven't exactly been what one might call particularly exciting, I think I'll actually get going on a few quests that might actually be, next time I do LOM. I get the feeling this car commercialfrom the 90s might explain where we're headed. No, not Baltimore, Maryland, though I do know a guy who'd love it if I went there. It's off to the Underworld that Pokheil warned us about this time. But that's for next time, as I've got things I need to do this evening.

Until then, though, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment