Sunday, May 27, 2012

Games Maybe I Should Try: Driver 3


It's not because I'm a fan of the “mafia underworld” genre.

It's because I've had this one sitting on my shelf for something like four years and I've never really tried it. I probably should.

See, there's this Internet buddy I've known for quite some time now who needed to sell off a few things. One of those was a PlayStation 2. Included were three games: Driver 3, Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. I've never really tried any of them because, as I said at the top of the article, I'm not really a fan of the “mafia underworld” genre, and I could never get the hang of the Castlevania games.

That doesn't necessarily mean they're not any good. I played Grand Theft Auto 3 for awhile, and thought it was a good game. Just not one I wanted to play more than the first couple hours of.

The same could be said of the Castlevania series. I've tried a few in that series as well. I'm just not very good at adventure games. Kinda like how I'm not very good at a lot of games, really.

But in the case of Driver 3, the main character is the wheel man for a gang of criminals with mob connections, from what I understand. Part of the reason I've never gotten into games like this is the same as why I never got into games that can be described using words like “stealth” and “platforming”. Games like that tend to require more physical coordination than I've got. Granted, I've managed to develop that skill to near enough normal that I can get by reasonably well in real life under normal circumstances. But the farther away we get from that, the more my lack of coordination begins to show. And to be honest, that's something I really don't care for, to the point that I have a bad way of doing everything I can to keep situations under what I think is control.

Another component to this game is that I'm not sure I'm what you'd call “criminally minded” enough to get through this game, or ones like it. Running from police and other folks who want to capture me or gun me down for one reason or another just doesn't make sense to me because I'm the sort who would rather avoid getting into those situations altogether. Games based entirely on being in those situations confuse the hell out of me.

Still, since the game's on my shelf, I suppose I should at least give it a serious shot, just to see how well I do. After all, I kinda did pay for the thing, so why not use it, right?

Next GMIST: Castlevania: Lament of Innocence

No comments:

Post a Comment