Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Actual Passing Thoughts #1

From time to time, I'll actually have these, and I'll even have a chance to put them here.

Here's something that occurred to me while I was fixing dinner tonight.  A good many people in my age group will probably remember going to the arcade and seeing a good many games flash screens with an official-looking US Government logo on it that had a message about how winners don't do drugs.  What brought them to mind is all this business with Charlie Sheen and his suddenly rather public drug problem.

The thing that started going through my mind is that maybe it's true what Jim Carey's character told his kid in the movie Liar Liar in regards to the statement that it's what's inside that counts: "That's just something that ugly people say, son."

Now, a good generation or two of gamers and arcade fans have been brought up with these messages about how winners don't do drugs, and yet here we have Charlie Sheen, practically one of us, in a way, and is doing all the drugs he can get and calling himself a winner.

I, on the other hand, have no good reason to call myself a winner, and I don't do any of the drugs that we were always told not to do.  I have to wonder if there's a correlation here, and just how it works.

I wonder if Sheen's drug habit comes from his success or vice versa.  Conversely, I also wonder if my lack of success has to do with my lack of drugs or if it's my tenancy to be a lazy bastard who puts everything off until the last moment and then usually fails to get it done right and/or in time.

Needless to say, it's an interesting thing to figure out, and I'm not sure quite what the answer is.

No comments:

Post a Comment