Sunday, June 10, 2012

Doctor Sonic...?


Well, the Doctor does have a Sonic screwdriver, after all...

I was watching something on uStream a while ago, and they mentioned Facebook. That got me to thinking about a brief thought I'd posted there making a comparison between Sonic the Hedgehog. Basically, what had come to mind is that there have been various incarnations of Sonic just like there have been eleven incarnations of the Doctor. On top of that, we all have our favorites of those. And interestingly enough, those favorites are usually the first ones we encounter.

The first version of Doctor Who I got to see was the ninth Doctor, Christopher Eccleston. This was back in 2005 or 2006, and an Internet buddy of mine sent me some dubbed DVDs so I could see some episodes with the guy. As time has gone by, I've watched episodes with other Doctors, and have come to like them, but the ninth will always be my favorite because I saw him first.

I've found that much the same can be said of Sonic the Hedgehog. Sonic started as a video game series put out for the Sega Genesis in the late 1980s and 1990s. Even though I did play demo versions of the games in stores, I never really got into them. But in 1993, there was a Saturday morning cartoon series that I quite liked. That version of Sonic became “my Sonic” the same way that the ninth Doctor is “my Doctor”. Sure, I've seen the other Sonic cartoon series. I thought Sonic Underground was OK, and Sonic X was alright for anime, though I didn't really care for Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.

On the comics front, I've read a few issues of both Archie's “Sonic the Hedgehog” and “Sonic X”, and have even done a vlog sort of thing about the latter. I'm not much of a comics guy, but I think I preferred the original, based at least partly off the Saturday morning cartoon, originally. Haven't picked up an issue in years, though. Maybe I should remedy that. We'll see, though. Based on what I've read lately, I may change my mind on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment