Sunday, June 10, 2012

TEXT PLAY SIDE GAME: Final Fantasy (NES 1990/PS 2003 [Origins]): Issue #3: Pirates Of Pravoka


I know I should probably get on with Legend of Mana, but I want to do a Text Play post, and at this point in the night, I would do better to do something I'm familiar with instead.

Like I was saying last time, what we're going to start with here is a defining moment in the history of video game music. I'm going to cross the bridge north of Cornelia, and when I do, it will trigger one of the most famous cutscenes I can think of, as it will tell the story of the game. At the same time, one of the most iconic pieces of video game music plays: the Final Fantasy Prelude. If you're familiar with the genre at all, this is a familiar and popular piece of music. If I understand correctly, this is one of only two pieces of music that has appeared in most, if not all, the games in the main series in one form or another, the other being a personal favorite of mine, the victory fanfare.

And with that bit of history out of the way, let's get on with the game itself, shall we? Once we cross the bridge, it's off to Matoya's Cave. This is not necessarily a mandatory stop, but I'm going there anyway because it's an excuse to gain levels, and I'll need them. She'll tell us she needs her crystal eye to see, but somebody horked it and now she's blind. There's promise of a reward for whoever brings it back. To do that, we'll need a ship. So it's off to Pravoka to deal with that.

The trip to Pravoka's about what you'd think it would be. A good number of random battles, mostly wolves and imps, but with a few Mad Ponies and an Ogre thrown in to spice things up. The experience is good, as is the gold. But this is where CLG's Apple gets his Rules of Final Fantasy, especially the bit about everything being a fifty-three mile hike. It's quite a ways between Matoya's Cave and Pravoka, but it's worth it.

One notable thing about Pravoka is that everybody there talks about pirates menacing the town. My strategy is what it usually is, to get the best armor, weapons, and in this case, magic I can afford and then go find the pirates so I can go beat their asses. The pirates are in the northwest part of town. Beating them down isn't a real problem. Just talk to the guy in the pirate hat. His name is Bikke, and he'll send his nine guys at you. They've all got HP so low that even my black mage can one-shot them with his knife. But for those of you who like using your magic, like I do, they're weak against bolt magic, too. Take out the pirates and Bikke will say he's going to clean up his act, so he gives you his ship. This will be a handy vehicle for a good chunk of the game, right up until it's time to get one of the other iconic things from this series, the airship. That's a ways off, yet, though.

Next up in this side Text Play is Elfheim and Astos the Dark Elf. But that might be awhile. I owe you guys at least one, if not two or three issues of Legend of Mana before then.

So, until then, have fun, stay safe, and keep gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment