Wednesday, June 20, 2012

TEXT PLAY: Legend of Mana (PlayStation; 2000): Issue #14: Back To The Desert


And maybe Back To The Future, too?

It occurs to me that I've been doing a lot of nothing in this Text Play. It's not because Legend of Mana is a slow or boring game or some shint. It's because I've got too many choices, really. There are a lot of things I could, and really should, be doing in this game. Unfortunately, I have to pick which one I want to do at any given juncture, and usually just wind up sandboxing instead.

In this bout of running around, I figured I'd go back to Polpota Harbor, just because I'd done a little work there recently and thought there might be more. I was kind of hoping for another full-on mission there, but instead got one of the little vignettes that are another reason I have trouble deciding where to go next. In this case, Flameshe and the Flowerling by the docks at the inlet to the town's namesake harbor say that a soldier bought a flower and went to the inlet. Upon checking that out, I discovered that it was Thoma, paying tribute to his fallen fellow troopers.

Of course, soon as he sets the flower down, the scenery opens up and a skeleton guy comes out. It seems Thoma knows him as a fellow warrior named Thona. Yeah, that's not confusing in the slightest there. But anyway, both these guys work for some entity called Deathbringer, which may make them part of the Dragoon Arc, too, but we'll get to that soon enough. Thona references a Bone Dungeon and the Underworld before horking the flower Thoma put out and running back to the Space Between Spaces. The whole thing reminded me of a little scene from near the end of Ghostbusters.

Yeah, I kinda know where I need to go from here, and I've got some idea of how to get there from where I am, but it just wouldn't be me if I didn't jack around with other stuff for a bit first, so I went to the lounge in the Polpota Hotel to watch Basket Fish and Thoma swoon over Ravenshe the Dancer for a bit. Turns out the fish guy's a five year old who has to work because loosing the Blue Eye has made him poor. After that, I ran off to Gato, just for the hell of it. I knew there was nothing going on there but went anyway.

And then I went back to the Duma Desert, in hopes that would be where I was supposed to go. I pretty much knew better, but again, went anyway. At least I got a few levels out of it, and a soldier's helm and a pegasus helm from beating up monsters.

The other place that I went was Medora, North Dakota... er, Madora Beach, that is, where we met the lovestruck pirate penguins. I was just about right in my thinking that there would be nothing there. I did get an aquatic egg out of all this, but that's about it.

At least there was one good thing here: I got to hear Flameshe the Mermaid sing for a bit in Polpota when I went there. She's pretty good.

Due to issues IRL, I'm not sure exactly when I'll get back to this again, but when I do, it'll be off on a decent adventure for a change. Until then, have fun, stay safe, and keep gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment