Friday, June 29, 2012

TEXT PLAY: Legend of Mana (PlayStation; 2000): Issue #16: Easy Peasy


Well, I promised a mission last time, and I've put this one off for long enough anyway, I suppose.

It's time we got around to actually getting on with Elazul and the game's Jumi Arc for real. All in all, this is an easy mission, designed to be done earlier in the game than I'm doing it. But now's as good a time as any, after all. I did promise an actual story-advancing quest last time, and since it's late at night as I work on all this, I figure an easy mission that I pretty much know the outcome to.

The meat and bones of this one is that the one dude who told the onion kid his name before he went into the pub is looking for somebody. The dude's name is Elazul, and I'd say he's kind of a dick, but I don't know if I want to insult dicks that way. He's looking for somebody named Pearl, and he's being needlessly harsh to Rachel, the barmaid daughter of Mark and Jennifer. Talking to Elazul will eventually lead to Rachel handing over an artifact called the Jade Egg. Elazul senses that Pearl's in there somehow.

Using the Jade Egg on the map opens up a place called the Mekiv Caverns. Pearl's at the very bottom of the place. Getting there's no big deal. All the monsters, including the boss at the end, are relatively easy, since this was supposed to happen way earlier than I'm doing it. Since this is pretty much a limestone cavern sort of thing, there are a lot of bats, mushrooms, and aquatic monsters in there. Kind of what one might expect to find in the namesake of Jewel Cave National Monument if things like this happened outside of video games.

So, anyway, get to the very bottom of the cave, and there's this giant monkey kind of thing with ice breath to beat up. He's guarding Pearl for some reason. Beat the monkey and save the girl. Pearl's a bit shy, but manages to hand over the Stone Eye artifact before humbly running off after Elazul pretty much dominates her. It seems that Elazul sees the fairer sex the way Babylon 5's Ambassador Ulkesh looks at most of the younger races in the B5 uinverse, and that may be the biggest reason why he's my least favorite character in the game. The good news, though, is that we're done with him for the time being now that the quest is over.

And now there are a few more ways I could go with this, but that's a matter for another time. We'll get on with that another time, after I've gotten a little shuteye and dealt with a few other things. See you then, folks, and remember to stay safe, have fun, and keep on gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment