Thursday, June 28, 2012

TEXT PLAY: Legend of Mana (PlayStation; 2000): Issue #15: Yar Har Fiddle De Fee...



Which is a good thing, as I seem to be stuck here.

When I sat down to play over lunch, I figured I'd do the Pirate's Hook level because it sounded quick and easy. Turns out I was wrong. It's amazing how easy it is to get lost on a ship...

But anyway, the area I'm in. It's called the SS Buccaneer, the ship of the Penguin Pirates. And I can't seem to find my way off the damned thing. I think I know what the quest I'm supposed to do here is, but there was no start screen for it, and I can't find anybody there to say what the deal is.

Remember, a few issues back, when I talked about David and Valerie lovestruck penguins, and how David said something about killing all the monsters? That's kind of what I think I need to be doing here, and there's even evidence to support that. The biggest piece is that there's a penguin in the ship's wheelhouse who will steer the ship around and every so often send you out to fight monsters. Unfortunately, I don't know how enthusiastic I'm going to be about putting a million hours into testing that.

What I really want to do here is find my way off the ship so I can go into Polpotta and ask around. Knowing my luck, that's what I was supposed to do but didn't think of it until it was too late. So now, I'm stuck futzering around on this stupid pirate ship until I figure out how to get the hell off.

So after a while longer fighting monsters for the guy driving the ship and not getting anywhere, I checked my strategy guide and found that I needed to find the pirate captain, a walrus named Tusk. To get off the ship this time, I just had to tell the man that I didn't like his boat, and he let me off.

Even though this didn't quite work out the way I'd hoped, I did get another dungeon on the map. No mission to go with it, in this case, so I hope I didn't wind up fucking myself as a result. Maybe that thing about checking in Polpotta is what I should try next time I actually sit down to play next time.

But for now, I just went back to my house. Got a Diceberry, which is a strawberry that looks like a six-sided dice, and an Apricat, which would be an apricot that looks like a cat's face. Like I said, there's some weird produce in this game. And the aquatic egg I may have forgotten to mention awhile ago hatched into a sand crab. Named that Harold.

So, even if this didn't work out quite as planned, I guess it wasn't a total bust. Hopefully, next time I'll actually have a quest to talk about instead of me just having a derp day. Until then, have fun, stay safe, and keep gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment