Monday, June 11, 2012

TEXT PLAY: Legend of Mana (PlayStation; 2000): Issue #13: Ghostbusters, Fa'Diel Division


Seriously, though, who ya gonna call?

Basically, this started out as a “running around” issue, but then I decided that because I've done two issues of my side Text Play instead of alternating between Final Fantasy and Legend of Mana, I'd actually go for a quest instead. Given the Artifacts I had on hand at the time, the only real choice I had was the Rusty Anchor, because the only other ones were the Ancient Tablet, which gives us Mindas, and we know how well my last attempt at that went; and something called the Broken Doll, which gives us the dungeon that will eventually let us open the workshops, but since it's late and I've got other stuff on my mind at the moment, I'll save that for later, too. Last time I tried it, it didn't work out any better than the whole deal with Mindas, as demonstrated earlier, and I want a fresh, clear mind to go into that with.

So, anyway, the Rusty Anchor creates a town called Polpota Harbor. The initial mission there involves the sinking of a ship, a ghost in the hotel, and a fish guy named Basket Fish with a jewel called the Blue Eye. This bit is part of the game's Jumi Arc, given what happens. This quest starts off like the first mission we see the title characters go on in the movie Ghostbusters, as well as the recent Video Game. The hotel staff tells you about a ghost that's haunting the place and scaring off the guests. They then ask if you'll investigate. Gotta say yes to that because, well, not only is it Quaker Oats, but Inspector Boyd's on the case, and as we saw back in Gato, he's more Inspector Gadget than Poirot when it comes to his job. Since it's up to us to figure this thing out, it's time to have a look at things.

The first place I went was to the docks. There are a few shops there. On the lower level is a Flowerling who says the ghost in the hotel is bad for business all over town. A mermaid shows up and says she thinks it's a hoax that people are getting all worked up over. She also says her name, but I didn't pay much attention to that part. Probably should have, because the strategy guide I look at every once in a while says she'll be important later.

On the upper level is another Flowerling, this time selling weapons and armor. Since I could use upgrades in that department, he made a little Lucre off me. I hear steel is a good thing to make that stuff out of.

But west of the docks is the beach, where a Captain Thoma of the Imperial Army is investigating the sinking of a ship. Once he explains that, it's back to the hotel where we meet Basket Fish. Yes, that's his real name, and yes, it's earned because he's got a big fish for a head. Those of you that know me well enough know I'm going to make a joke about fish heads here. He's a rich little moron who rents out the whole hotel just so he can swoon over a dancer. Basket is rich because he's got a jewel known as the Blue Eye. It's got this thing it does where it lets people see what happens under the water, or anywhere on the ocean, really. Remember that for a bit, that really will be important later.

There's a scene where somebody's questioning Pirate Penguins about the Eye, and they say to go looking for the fish dude. So back to the hotel for a bit.

On the harbor's east docks, Inspector Boyd is looking around for somebody who literally has blue eyes, like I do in real life. Ask him all three of the questions that are available and he asks you if you've seen somebody like that. I said Thoma the Sailor, not really thinking about it. Back at the hotel, Slimer has been menacing folks again. This time, somebody impersonating Boyd comes along to team up with Thoma to get at Basket Fish, who's still swooning over the dancer in the hotel lounge. Naturally, the dancer convinces the fish to whip out the eye, which shows us just how Thoma's ship sank. A Sea Hag drove the crew nuts is what did it, probably to stop them from learning about some ultimate firearm thing.

After we see all of this, the supposed ghost shows up and horks the crystal from Basket. Given its special properties, it was probably one of the Jumi Cores that Sandra the Jewel Thief was after, and she was the ghost. Boyd shows up ten seconds late, as always.

But with both the Blue Eye and the ghost gone, the quest ends, and the hotel staff gives you two artifacts: the Bottled Spirit and the Pirate's Hook.

Back at home, it's time to tell Lil' Cactus a story and get new fruit off the tree. This time there's two: the Heart Mint, that I may have talked about before, and something called Pine O'Clock. Spongebob, anyone?

But from here, I think I'll just do a little sandboxing, because I'm not sure how much time I'll have to put into a real quest in the near future.

It seems like there was something else I wanted to mention at the end here, too, but now that I've finally gotten here, I can't remember what it was. Must not have been too important. If I think of it later, I'll tell you.

But until next time, dear readers, have fun, stay safe, and keep gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment